Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Electrical Issues... Need Help

Its a clamp that hooks to your multimeter. It works sort of like a timing light. If holley says it draws 3A and its drawing more, the pump's probably bad. If it's drawing 3A and the fuse still blows, its probably a short somewhere blowing your fuse.

I think fuel pumps are not positive displacement so a restriction after the pump won't cause overload.

18 ga min.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    i think i have 12ga...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I've got a couple 12ga. and a .45acp. Wait....wrong thread.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

you think you have electrical issues, my brother just called me and said that a squirrel just fried himself on the main power supply to the house, apparaently he touched the high voltage line and the fuse for the transformer at the same time, i will post up a picture when i get it
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

Quote Originally Posted by TMatheaus View Post
    you think you have electrical issues, my brother just called me and said that a squirrel just fried himself on the main power supply to the house, apparaently he touched the high voltage line and the fuse for the transformer at the same time, i will post up a picture when i get it
    This happens alot more than you would think, especially at substations. Squirrels, opposums and snakes were the most common ones found in stations and large birds like herons and pelicans get fried prety regularly on high voltage transmission lines.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Definitely sounds like the wiring. As mentioned above check the terminals and crimps to make sure they are not causing a short, check the ground as well. The holley blue in my jeep used to be in the chevelle, swapped it out after it grounded out a couple times thinking it killed the pump. Turned out that it was fine, just made contact with the aluminum pump cover in the trunk causing a short.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Check for short to ground. Check wiring, corrosion runs down wires. Come on wolverton, wayne didn't teach you this stuff? Check draw like Kolpecki said.

Also, the fact that you get feedback through your subs is eveidence of something not right in wiring somewhere. Could be stuff you have added, could be a bad ground strap, go for fundamentals, diagnose instead of throwing parts at it.

Lastly, this is why diesel rice sucks, I think its bad ass what they can do, but its your DD.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Check for short to ground. Check wiring, corrosion runs down wires. Come on wolverton, wayne didn't teach you this stuff? Check draw like Kolpecki said.

Also, the fact that you get feedback through your subs is eveidence of something not right in wiring somewhere. Could be stuff you have added, could be a bad ground strap, go for fundamentals, diagnose instead of throwing parts at it.

Lastly, this is why diesel rice sucks, I think its bad ass what they can do, but its your DD.
    i dont have "diesel rice". yes i do have a programmer and a fueling box, but if both of them are on, the fueling box is on its lowest setting and the programmer is set to the middle setting (only because it smokes less then the lowest setting). on top of that, both of them combined are similar to an edge comp. was scott's green truck "diesel rice"?

i have yet to throw parts at it. i did change the relay with one i already had, changed the fuses cause they were blown, and changed the fuel filter which needed to be done anyway. throwing "parts" at it would be replacing the Holley which is the last thing i want to do.

i just cleaned the battery terminals. they were pretty bad. im thinking i will soon be replacing the batteries. the driver side is not 100% and both of them are the original batteries. i am pretty sure the batteries/terminals are the issue. the fuse blew again today when i was about to leave work. i replaced it with a 10amp fuse to see what it would do and so far so good.

as for there being an issue cause of the feedback in the subs... this is definitely not the case. when i installed them i made sure i used wire way bigger then what i needed. additionally, i dont think anyone can begin to understand the power draw from the grid heaters unless you have a cummins. neither ford or gm have them.

again... i am almost dead certain the batteries are the culprit. i have noticed slower starts here recently and it all makes since. if it happens again, i will switch driver and passenger battery and see what that does. in our setup, the passenger is the slave to the driver.

EDIT: not raggin on you seth...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

I know. Just like I wasn't raggin on you.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

so then what is diesel rice? a spoiler and a fart can?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Diesel rice is bad. That's all you need to know. Honestly, the ****ty sounding exhausts and abundant smoke are what I dont like. That and guys who would not have a diesel otherwise. These are the same guys who had 2 door Z71 tahoes 10 years ago. Nothing against them, hell my best friend is one of them.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Diesel rice is bad. That's all you need to know.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4