Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATV Gas Tank Repair

Hybrid View

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar

ATV Gas Tank Repair

So I purchased my brother's old XR100 back from Jimmy. He told me it had a gas tank leak.

I took it off tonight and the leak is a rust spot from the bottom seam on the tank. Any ideas on how to repair it? I have 3 thoughts:

1) Properly flush the tank, i.e. no gas in it, put water in and out several times, run air through it for a day. Then try to lay a bead of weld over the rust hole. I think this would be very hard because the metal is already thin, but add in the rust, makes it way thin

2) Properly flush the tank like above, make a small patch piece and weld it over like a scab. Advantage here is I might be able to get to better metal, disadvantage is I will create a little pocket in the tank

3) Some kind of epoxy? any suggestions? JB Weld, Do you guys think it would hold? It would suck to be out somewhere and be stranded cause the tank ruptured, spilled gas on me and the bike, then caught me and the bike on fire....

Thoughts? Anyone got experience with this?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

they make a gas tank repair epoxy
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

jeep people fix tj tanks with jb weld. something cracks whenever they do a body lift, I don't remember what it is though.

acid etch it from the inside. see how bad it is after you rinse. patch like you said. either weld or weld on a patch. by the special tank coating for the inside and out it in there.
    look in eastwood catalog for kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    acid etch it from the inside. see how bad it is after you rinse. patch like you said. either weld or weld on a patch. by the special tank coating for the inside and out it in there.
    look in eastwood catalog for kit.
    I have done the etch, rinse, coat thing on bikes before. The crappy thing about this bike is the inside of the tank looks good. I am really surprised it rusted out.
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    I have done the etch, rinse, coat thing on bikes before. The crappy thing about this bike is the inside of the tank looks good. I am really surprised it rusted out.
    it looked like it rusted just a little bit where it the gas sat when on the kickstand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Didn't you get something for xmas that will fix this?
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    Didn't you get something for xmas that will fix this?
    I don't want to waste my Mighty Putty.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

por 15 has a tank sealer kit

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    por 15 has a tank sealer kit

this is what i would recommend, It sucks welding on used gas tanks when they are thin.

After listening to everyone's advice, I decided to do my own thing. We should rename this thread "Well I guess you could do it that way...."

Have you ever seen some project that was not quite right? Examples: 1) Welding the TTB arms together on a Bronco, 2) Cooking hamburgers on an indoor electric grill, 3) Pretty much anything Kopecki has ever done... These things you see and you step back and think, well I guess it does not boldly break the laws of gravity or space time continuim, so, well I guess you could do it that way....

Most people I talked to said to weld a patch plate in, but that seemed like a lot of work and the idea of welding around a gas tank seemed horrible.... I cleaned the tank up and found the rust hole was way worse than anyone could have guessed. I did some internet research and saw where some people had used JB Weld <step in and say "Well I guess you could do it that way". The pictures shows what 4 layers of JB Weld and some harvest orange paint will do....
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Next was the muffler. 24 years had rusted this muffler to crap. My dad, Jerry, and Jimmy had all tried to "fix" this with various things like PVC, flashing, worm clamps, screws, and prayer

Some of you might point out you can buy replacement "silencers" on ebay for about 40 bucks. My experience with this is they are loud and finding one that fit the pipe close enough would be hard. Finding this original part is hard and quite expensive ($400). So I decided to make my own muffler, "Well I guess you could do it that way....."

My first issue was the existing muffler was 3" in diameter. This is a challenge since 3" pipe is fairly rare (standard sizes are 2" and 4"). However I was in O'reilly's and saw a piece of 3" exhaust pipe for $6. I had a piece of 1-1/4" pipe from a chain link fence and some left over sheet metal.

I took the 1-1/4" pipe and crossed drilled it with my drill press. I cut 2 end caps from sheet metal and drilled one out for exhaust to flow through and one for the pipe to fit through.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Previous to welding it out, I put some secret "batting" in it to muffle it some. I cut the original mounting tab off the bike and what was left of the muffler. Then I welded it on. It is not the prettiest thing, by any means.

I put some gas in the tank, so far no leaks!

Fired it up, it is no longer loud, sounds pretty close to stock. I did not want to rev it way up since it was like 8:30 when I finished it. I'll throw some paint on it and it should be good.

So, Well I guess you could do it that way....
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I vote the name be changed to "CRAP-tak-youlur ways to fix a bike that kolpeker never even dreamed of!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    I vote the name be changed to "CRAP-tak-youlur ways to fix a bike that kolpeker never even dreamed of!"
    do the brakes next!!