Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: St.John's Old Trailer

Loved the trailer this weekend. The lock box is awesome. Used the winch also. I was wondering if there was a good way to setup a trickly charger for the battery. I need to get some kind of system for all of my toys. Everything always has a dead battery. Any good ideas? For the trailer, is there something that will use the truck power to charge that battery?
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...id&itemid=2916

Minn Kota battery chargers

we use these at work on our trailers

we have like ~8-10 optimas for back up if we lose shore power to run our equipment until the generator kicks on and charges the batteries.

so basically while it is plugged in to shore power or the generator is running (your truck engine) the batteries are charging. this also keeps from overcharging the batteries.

I think one of the wires on the 7 way charges the battery but I could be wrong. I've never jacked with it. Glad it's working out!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

the center pin on a 7way

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Look up "break-away brakes" My dad has them on his trailer. It includes a small battery that if the trailer becomes disconnected it locks the electric brakes. Inside the magic black box there is a thing that charges the battery and indicates it's level of charge.

Additionally I have been thinking about putting a small pigtail on all of my vehicles that I could just plug in to a trickle charger. Like you I have 7 things that every time I use them have to be charged....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

make sure the landing gear is on a piece of wood and the battery won't run dead, we have to all our trailers that have electric jacks.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    HF sells a solar charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter and you can cut the plug off and wire it into what ever you want. All of mine worked real good except the one that was in the dually and it nearly melted on the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

The thing that charges the battery for a breakaway is a wire. It connects to the power plug on the 6 or 7 prong. You can use that for charging your trailer battery as it will probably be hooked to the truck for a while before being used. Travel trailers are set up the same way. I've been thinking of setting my boats up this way.

For the other toys, that thing that Cooper posted is a way to go but this is cheaper and does the same thing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-VO...Q5fAccessories
    The one he posted is a charger/maintainer made for charging trolling motor batteries and then maintaining them. If you're not parking your toys with dead batteries it won't help you any more.
    Last edited by eight; 03-03-2009 at 07:13 PM.

i'll try and take a look at how my Dad's new dump trailer is set up. it has some kind of built in trickle charge and a bulk head type connection..kinda like plugging in a diesel truck. i know you don't have to open up any battery boxes or anything. just plug am extension cord into the side of the trailer.

My ST has a little plug that comes out from under the seat. I think it may be for a maintainer... maybe com or warmer also.

These are also cheap and easy.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-100610035

I need something for the bikes and the Cruiser also. The cool thing about the "race" truck is the emergency shut off. It just disconnects everything.

Maybe a better option would be to actively use the **** that I want and get rid of the **** that I don't. Put a regular disconnect on the Cruiser and turn it off when I park it. Then ride the ST and sell the CBR and the dirt bike.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Depending on if you want to make it a permanent mount or not you might want to look at the Marine Grade ones that are water resistant if you plan on keeping it permanently mounted on the trailer in the elements.