Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ford 9 inch

Scott has the upgraded front FJ axle and has had very little problems with it.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

Oh yeah, his have definitely seen abuse. I'm just saying at $700 a set you could almost pick up a Dana 60.
    BDR

yes but that only gets you 30 spline outer. You still have steering and brakes and what every it takes to make the gear the same. Easy 1500 when said and done.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    [ED]
    I think you need to cut your fingernails

[/ED]

Just throw a little weld in those grooves from the u-bolts and clean it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Busa View Post
    yes but that only gets you 30 spline outer. You still have steering and brakes and what every it takes to make the gear the same. Easy 1500 when said and done.
    But it's also full width. Just ask Coop how easy it is to almost kill someone using wheel spacers.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    But it's also full width. Just ask Coop how easy it is to almost kill someone using wheel spacers.

even if you check them every day... maybe it was O.E.

i would not worry about the grooves
    look at my axle from chopping off random crap that was welded on previously
    i dont think its going to snap the tube or anything
    Attached Images Attached Images  

do what are you at now? stock FJ with mini knuckles?

$700 and your done of the front axle. another 2 grand later you can have a 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    do what are you at now? stock FJ with mini knuckles?
    What?
    BDR

I have wheel spacer and have not had any problem with it. If they are put on right you should have no problem. A 60 will still be wider then a ford 9. I think a front 60 is like 69wms to wms. A ford9 is 65. You can get a ford 9 from a van that is 68 i thinks.

It all depends on how bad you wont to wheel. If you have the money build good axle front and rear and never worry about them again. If not do what you can closes to what you wont in the end and upgarde as you go. It is not that hard to change center in a ford 9. also the tubes on the ford 9 are thinner than the 60. Should be ok if your not going to drive it like Scott or I. If you wont to change the housing i picked one up the other day for 50 just the housing.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

i have been running spacers since i bought my blazer and haven't had any problems either, i just check them when ever i have the front tires off to make sure they are still tight

What?
    WMS on your front axle, since the thought of full width axles in in the mix.

I have wheel spacer and have not had any problem with it. If they are put on right you should have no problem. A 60 will still be wider then a ford 9. I think a front 60 is like 69wms to wms. A ford9 is 65. You can get a ford 9 from a van that is 68 i thinks.

It all depends on how bad you wont to wheel. If you have the money build good axle front and rear and never worry about them again. If not do what you can closes to what you wont in the end and upgarde as you go. It is not that hard to change center in a ford 9. also the tubes on the ford 9 are thinner than the 60. Should be ok if your not going to drive it like Scott or I. If you wont to change the housing i picked one up the other day for 50 just the housing.
    Honestly, I know there are options out there that could probably get this rig on the trail more quickly, and after 4 years of not driving my own rig I'm definitely getting restless. I guess my thinking is originally I threw a rig together to get on the trail, but never had a rig I was particularly proud of. This time I'm trying to build something I can be proud of, while keeping somewhat of a budget, even if it keeps me from the trail for a few more years (or decades as it's looking now ).

"close to what you want in the end and upgrade as you go" is kind of what I'm shooting for with this axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    WMS on your front axle, since the thought of full width axles in in the mix.
    Front axle is 57 WMS. Yes, stock FJ and will have mini knuckles with my original disk parts from spindle out. Right now my plans for the rig are to keep my width about the same and wheelbase at about 105". I'm planning on 36" or so tires. When the day comes that I feel the need to join the big boys at 40"+ then I may entertain the full width idea a little more.
    BDR

This is what my rear 9 cost me.

Stock 9 housing $50
    Strange 9 case $240 P#N2206
    Pinion Support $90
    1350 Pinion Yoke $90
    5.13 gears $170
    Detroit $550
    Install Kit $150
    About $150 to have the gears set up
    35 spline shafts $425
    Then whatever brakes you will run.
    Thinking about costs I realized I haven't attempted at putting together the cost of building this axle...

Stock 9 housing $free
    4.56 gears ~$100
    No Install Kit - use original bearings, buy new seal
    Full Spool $55
    Set up gears myself
    Back brace $50
    Custom shafts ~$350
    Maybe upgrade pinion yoke?
    Brakes $?

So right now I'm looking at about $550 plus the cost of the brakes, so maybe $650 when it's done?
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 05-01-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    BDR

I wish somebody would have told me this before I started chopping my rig up.
    Tell me about it
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Picked up a full spool for $50. I figure if I'm going to be spending the extra bucks on alloy shafts I don't want to take a chance on welded spiders grenading.

I've changed my mind and decided to take an equal amount off of each tube instead of centering the center section. This way I can keep equal length axle shafts and not have to carry two different length spares.

Sharpe...has that axle jig found its way into your truck for a ride to CS yet?
    BDR