Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ford 9 inch

Yah I gots the goods.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Thanks Sharpe...I'll try to get with you this week. I may take a day or two off for an axle buildathon.
    BDR

Anyone want the whole axle I have. 31 spline shafts, 2.97 gears, case is open, drum brakes, shaved housing?

Or does anyone need any Moser big bearing ends?

Send me a pm if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Hmmm....

This seems like it was meant to be.

The OD of the d44 tube is just right to fit inside the 9inch tube. The d44 axle uses the same U399A timken bearing and has the same diameter seal surface, so I can use the original isuzu parts on the 9inch axle without having some one-off oddball bearing/seal. Rotors are already six lug so no redrilling, plus they are vented whereas the Ford 8.8s are not. The only downside is that the backing plate is captured by the axle retainer. This means that my spare axles would have to have loaded backing plates on them. Or I would have to carry spare bearing retaining rings, knock the bearing off the broken axle to get the backing plate off, then put the backing plate on the new axle with the new retainer ring.

See the comparison of the retainers below...

What do yall think?

BDR

If you can make that work it would be cool. is the distance from the bearing shoulder to the wheel mounting surface the same on a 9" and isuzu dana 44? I'm thinking theres a few more measurements you need to take before ruling out custom axle shafts.

all the nines that I have seen that had factory brakes, the backing plate is captured by the bearing that is what holds the axles in. factory ford standoff is usually 2 3/16" that is distance from wms to bearing flange face I thought most 44's had less.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    If you can make that work it would be cool. is the distance from the bearing shoulder to the wheel mounting surface the same on a 9" and isuzu dana 44? I'm thinking theres a few more measurements you need to take before ruling out custom axle shafts.
    I haven't measured yet but just eyeballing it I do believe the isuzu has less bearing shoulder to wms. I've pretty much decided to get custom shafts anyway. By the time I pay shipping for the stock shafts to/from Mosier I might as well dish out the extra cash and get a stronger axle.

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld View Post
    all the nines that I have seen that had factory brakes, the backing plate is captured by the bearing that is what holds the axles in. factory ford standoff is usually 2 3/16" that is distance from wms to bearing flange face I thought most 44's had less.
    What I mean by captured is that the backing plate is between the retainer and the axle flange. So in order from tube out:

9 inch - tube, backing plate, retaining plate, axle flange

isuzu 44 - tube, retaining plate, backing plate, axle flange

There's no way to get the backing plate off without removing the wheel bearing from the shaft. And it doesn't look like I can use the same studs if I was to not use a backing plate because the studs press into the backing plate.

Did you mean 2-3/8"? I say that because everyone who does the 8.8 brake conversion has to put a 1/8" spacer on the axle flange or get custom shafts because the 8.8 is 2-1/2" brake spacing. This is also the approximate measurement I got on mine. I'm about 90% sure I'm going with custom shafts, in which case I'll get them machined to the isuzu spacing. If I do happen to go with resplined originals I don't think the difference is too large so I could probably get the shoulder reworked back to meet the isuzu spec.
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 05-18-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    BDR

Pucks

2- 2.892" carrier pucks
    1- 2.875" D44 end puck

BDR

sweetness
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Ya, so Ryan's housing is definitely not going to work. Evidently Ford 9" doesn't always mean 9". The ring gear from that axle was a numerically lower ratio, and the ring actually measures ~8-3/8". Ryan fabbed the skid according to his ring. So when I put my 3rd in it contacts the skid with about 1/2" to go.

BDR

so this talk about it having more clearance than a D30 is poppy(ock?

add a small notch made of some square tubing to give you just enough clearance
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    so this talk about it having more clearance than a D30 is poppy(ock?
    No, I think that because the ring was smaller Ryan went didn't realize he was going further. It will still have a lot more clearance...I'm just gonna say it has more clearance than a stock Ford 9.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    add a small notch made of some square tubing to give you just enough clearance
    Square tube would have to hang down lower than the outside of the skid to work. I'd rather just start over.
    BDR

So what is that pic of?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

skidmarks

That's the skid on the inside...the mark is where the ring rubs.
    BDR