Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aggie Motel

The Aggie Motel

I.E. My version of a camper... I am having an offroad camping trailer built right now. Been in the works for over a month now but I finally have some progress on it and can show ya'll whats going on with it. I originally was building my own, had the Axle and base trailer in my garage but I got so busy with work and everything else, and then ended up trading my Welder for a brand new ARB Air Locker for the Taco and the plan just kind of went to ****. So I am having it built by Outlander Trailers.

I have been around a couple of their trailers in the past and these things are bulletproof (and a helluva lot cheaper than the competition). He is located up in Arkansas.http://www.outlandertrailers.com/ This is a Trailer for the folks that like to drive their rig to the trail, and then drag a comfortable camp behind them down the trail. I plan on taking this thing to Colorado, Big Bend, Clayton (K trails and National Forest not the Freilings property) and hopefully one day Montana. I can lug it behind the FJ on the long comfortable trips or Behind the Taco to Gilmer and Katemcy and set up a base camp to come back too. Enough talky talky more picha time.

It is a Sherpa II RL. I am having it powder coated black on black.
    A few key specs and extras on it:
    -3500# axle with 6 on 5.5 lug pattern to match my Toyota Tow vehicles
    -Black Pacer "D" hole wheels to match the wheels on the Taco
    -7 Pole connector to vehicle for constant power for future electrical system
    -LED Brake/Turn Signal Lights
    -Load Adjusting Coil over shocks
    -33"x12.50"x15" Mud Grips
    -Receiver hitch neck so that I can slide in any hitch that I want and extend the tongue length.
    -Receiver hitch on the back to mount my Freedom Grill
    -Currently ordering a Tongue Box and Side Kitchen Box from Northern Tool.

Pics of the build so far, should be getting powder coated on Thursday and I can pick her up in a week or so!

I will be mounting my Mombasa roof top tent on top.

looks good

you can go make out with jones
    http://picasaweb.google.com/JJonesee/M100#

i would pimp one of these things for camping if i had a rig i could drive places
    beats sleeping on the ground ...pull behind trailer with jeep on it??

looks cool. Are you going to put jacks at the corners? You should SAS the taco and get 35s now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I think I would have ponied up for a bull dog coupler, those couplers always annoy me.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    looks cool. Are you going to put jacks at the corners? You should SAS the taco and get 35s now.
    I want to bad. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the woman cracked the whip on the spending for the rest of the year after she saw the invoice for the Trailer. . 2010 is the year of the swap on the Taco. That means it is time to start building up parts now...

As far as stabilizing, I haven't decided if I want to do Jacks at the corners or an arm stabilizer setup kinda like this

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    I think I would have ponied up for a bull dog coupler, those couplers always annoy me.
    Actually I am going with a completely different hitch set up called a lock and roll, but again this was done within the wife's budget and the extra $200 was not available at the time.

http://www.locknroll.com/

EDIT: I will be ordering the Lock n' Roll before the Summer and I drag this thing to Colorado. Another reason for the receiver hitch tongue on the front of the Trailer.

$200 for that!? How's about I just make you something like that. Half price. Shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    You traded your welder for a locker? Turn in your man card immediately.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    You traded your welder for a locker? Turn in your man card immediately.
    Haha, I traded a $500 welder that I got for free from Northern, for an $850 brand new air locker that I have no source to get for free. That's just good business.

By June we will have another Welder. We get a credit to Northern every Quarter that my Dad and I redeem on tools and odds and ends we need for the Barn and my Garage.

why not just use a pintle hitch? they are much cheaper than 200 bones.

Well they just don't pull that great. There is always some sort of slack, so when you brake real hard it comes up and hits and the weight shifts. Not to mention they rotate better than a standard ball, but only up to a certain point, I need to look up what their limitation is of rotation is, I know it isn't 360 degrees like the Lock n' Roll. Also for new stuff a Pintle Hitch costs at least 60 bones (http://www.etrailer.com/pc-P~TR63043...utm_medium=ppc) and then you have another 30 or 40 in a Lunette Ring and fashioning that to a receiver tube to put in the Trailer, so by the time it is done you are already into it (with time) at least $120.

And finally, well I just want the best.

EDIT: Make that 50 or 60 for the ring... http://www.etrailer.com/p-63023.htm and then another 50 to mount it... http://www.etrailer.com/p-AMPC1.htm and there you are at $175 with time, why not drop $200? Remember I like easy and don't really make the time to fab all this stuff myself, so this is my excuse to get what I want the first time.
    Last edited by FJAggie07; 02-11-2009 at 03:56 PM.

pintle hitches blow, everytime you stop or go, the damn thing feels like it ripped the back of the truck off....of course this was 16k lbs not 800...
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Looks expensive. Needs new name.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Looks expensive. Needs new name.

Actually the only place I go by FJAggie is here. Everywhere else, and to all my other wheeling buddies I am just "Aggie" (to many Chris's in my other clubs). I just didn't think about it this time that I would have to come up with a new name just for the one forum that is all Aggies (didn't mean to rile Seth's feathers). Thanks and Gig 'Em.

ruffle. ruffle my feathers. and it is ok.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller