Thread: 87 4x4 XJ: 4dr Cherokee Laredo, D44

Registered

87 4x4 XJ: 4dr Cherokee Laredo, D44

My name is Kevin, I'm garrett's roommate. Up for sale is my 87 Cherokee Laredo. I'm taking 18 hours to graduate this may so I don't have time for this thing anymore, it would make a great trail rig. Jeep is located at 605 B Old Jersey in College Station. It is currently registered and I have a clear title in hand.

Price is $1500 OBO

Kevin
    kevinturner@tamu.edu

The Story: first and foremost, this vehicle was flooded last year in Hurrican IKE. It had been a daily driver before the hurricane, but obviously didn't start when I picked it up. I started on a learning adventure about how the XJs are built (this is my first one) and started buying all the replacement parts. I worked on it solid for about a month and finally got it going, after replacing many parts (long list below). I seafoamed it and made a 140 mile round trip to my friends ranch to test out the 4x4; the shocks and front springs need to be replaced. It does run and drive, but overheats very quickly. The front skid plate is off right now but I still have it if you want it.

The Good: It is an 87 and came with the optional Dana 44 rear axle, with a Dana 30 front. It has an AW4 auto trans with an NP231 transfer case. The 4x4 DOES work, and the trans shifts well. ALL fluids besides the brake fluid have been replaced. The gears looked to be in pretty good shape for the 200,000 miles or so it has (odometer doesn't work, 200,000 is an est from the previous owner. The body is in good shape. The headlights work, high beams too, and I think the brakelights work. The front fenders have been cut, not the prettiest but it gets the job done.

The Bad: The engine was overheating on the previous owner, and still is on me. The upper radiator hose exploded on me, and since then have replaced the hose, the water pump, thermostat, and have a new coolant tank in the mail. I believe that it is either a blown head gasket, something wrong with the radiator, or air in the system. The blinkers don't work, and the front driver's side marker lamp assembly is busted as well as the fog lights.

Parts:
    New:
    Battery
    Alternator
    Starter
    Water Pump
    Thermostat
    Upper Radiator Hose
    Engine Oil
    Transmission Fluid
    Gear Oil
    Transfer Case Fluid
    Spark Plugs
    Plug Wires
    Air filter
    Crank Position Sensor
    Coolant Tank (in the mail)
    Front and Rear Wiper Blades
    Passenger side Headlight

Used:
    ECU
    Trans computer
    Cruise Module
    Power Steering Pump and lines (approximately 80k miles)
    Ignition Control Module
    Coil

Last edited by 73bronco; 02-24-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Registered
    He dropped the price to $1000

lowballing someone
    400? doubt it but hey its what i do
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

lowballing someone
    also i have your fuel pressure guage. where do you live now so i can drop it off
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

ill be your pickup man
    When it runs, does it run poorly? Any smoke?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

hotpocket needs to buy this
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Registered
    the idle surges a little but outside the overheating it seems to run ok. That being said I haven't really driven around in it with him for any extended period of time.

ill be your pickup man
    $850?

edit: nvm....
    Last edited by JB; 03-07-2009 at 03:29 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

does it smell like jerry's old truck?

Registered
    sold it this morning