Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: rooftop tent mounting

the kind that the platform flips off to the side just look like a crappy walmart tent on an expensive platform. They don't drive you crazy when the wind's blowing? Doesn't even look very watertight
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    the kind that the platform flips off to the side just look like a crappy walmart tent on an expensive platform. They don't drive you crazy when the wind's blowing? Doesn't even look very watertight
    Very watertight. Heavy Duty Canvas material. I was camping in Jan. of 08 with the tent in about 15 degree weather with some sleet and with it all sealed up in the morning I was out of my sleeping bag and the inside of the tent was in the 60's. I have also dealt with some spring Texas "showers" in it and have never once gotten water in it. Trust me the material on this Tent is better than on my Marmot Area 51 that has also never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    Their website really sucks if you are looking for detailed pictures.

So on your Tundra, the bed rail mounts and bars across the bed are from Yakima? And how does the tent attach to these bars?
    the hard ware comes with the tent to attach to any kind of load bar (yakima, thule, or homemade bars)

There is a rail system on the underside of the tent that allows you to make a type of U-bolt with two bolts and a plate. You can see where the bolts come down in the next two pics...

Hopefully this helps?

wind?
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    wind?
    Held up just fine the last time I went to Katemcy. The support poles for the rainfly are pretty stout and everything zips up nice and tight. This thing weighs about 100 pounds by itself so it ain't light. I don't have a lot of experience camping in the wind cause most of the time we camp in the trees, but it did hold up fine to the openness of the Katemcy campground.

Check the thread on pirate under expedition vehicles. I'm too lazy to link it!

They were showing some cot tents that looked pretty sweet for much cheaper.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Make sure you get the XL's if you are going Tent Cot (they have a couple of sizes and I don't fit into anything smaller than that). They are easy to set up, but take up a lot of room. We have a couple of guys up here that have them that like them.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Check out my new expedition tent I think it will make the truck's value increase, since it is so rare now.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

PVC frame? No smoking in the tent!

Clarke did that for TCC two years ago.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Just nut up and sleep on the ground. Seems like allot of wasted money just so your tent is off the ground. Also seems like it is a great way to reduce your mileage with a huge tent sticking up.

After driving non stop for 20-to even 30 hours I know about the don't want to bother setting up the tent. Just wrap your sleeping bag in a tarp and you'll be good to go. If your worried about the elements... Buy a better tent, I have a North Face backpacking tent that has never let me down, and sets up in minutes.

Wouldn't you rather spend your money on something else? Or at least put it off till you've graduated and have a bit more to throw around.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

6 month old thread....

Quote Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
    Just nut up and sleep on the ground. Seems like allot of wasted money just so your tent is off the ground. Also seems like it is a great way to reduce your mileage with a huge tent sticking up.

After driving non stop for 20-to even 30 hours I know about the don't want to bother setting up the tent. Just wrap your sleeping bag in a tarp and you'll be good to go. If your worried about the elements... Buy a better tent, I have a North Face backpacking tent that has never let me down, and sets up in minutes.

Wouldn't you rather spend your money on something else? Or at least put it off till you've graduated and have a bit more to throw around.
    Reduced mileage? I dont know about Chris's widdle yota but Karl's truck would probably get the same mileage towing a small trailer, and I assume his ghetto ass shanty thing is going to be disassembled for driving. As far as putting it off, Chris and Karl are both grads, Karl just choses to live like a broke ass student
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

For the record my Roof Top Tent got sold with my trailer but I am sure I will be buying a larger one in about a year and a half for the power wagon that will be able to sleep the wife, baby and I comfortably.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Karl just choses to live like a broke ass student
    I like to call it living below my means...
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette