Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chief

Chief

The Chief

So after enough bull****ting and deciding whether or not to get something, I just went and picked this up. For the money, Frick gave me a great deal but it needs a lot of work.

Here are some pictures of where it's at. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a few essential tools.. not really going to be able to get to any of the work for a while.. so it looks like it's just gonna sit for a bit until I can get the tools.

It's missing a tranny... well not really missing. There are two in the back (See pictures.) According to Frick, one is the stock TH400 quadratrac (not working, and was pulled) and another is a TH400 from a chevy (won't fit because of the bellhausing I believe.) Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this Frick.

So I'm stuck with two trannys that don't work, but I think I'm gonna sell the chevy TH400 (as soon as I figure out which one it is) and borrow a transmission jack to get that on there.

Lastly... I know I'm biting off a lot more than I can chew here, and I would appreciate as little bull**** as possible about it. I know that a lot of you here know your ****, so all I'm asking is that you refrain from clogging up the thread with **** about how I have no idea what I'm doing, and just keep it to suggestions and information that I can actually use and learn from.. Or at least until I can get my bearings under me. It's been established that I'm in over my head, but I've gotta start somewhere.

Pics-

2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Chief

What is this thing??

1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Chief

ceiling is completely rusted out... suggestions on this?

Here's one of the trannys... if someone could let me know more info about it, that'd be great

and the other

my parking brake

Chief

Neither one of those transmissions is for a chevy. Did all a/c equiped AMC motors come with york compressors?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

good luck?...

I would keep an eye out for similar vehicles and just buy whole to get the parts you need. I know I sold a running and driving one of these for like 300.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
    Neither one of those transmissions is for a chevy. Did all a/c equiped AMC motors come with york compressors?
    mine had a sanden

first transmission is AMC bellhousing th400
    second transmission is Buick bellhousing.
    unidentified thing is probably the voltage regulator for the alternator

you have offset axles and that limits your transfercase options unless you want to do the crazy angle driveshaft thing, but I don't think thats a good idea.

options from least kickass to most kickass:
    put stock stuff back in, th400 and borg warner transfercase
    buy adapter and put th400 in with dana 18
    put 727 out of 80 and newer wagoneer with IH adapter and run a dana 18
    swap rear axle and put 727 out of 80 and newer wagoneer with a dana 300
    put 727 out of 80 and newer wagoneer with 85 and older Land Rover adapter and run LT230 transfercase

Chief
    Also, does anyone have the tools needed to mate a transmission to this thing? I'm not going to be able to do it right away, since I need to rebuild the carb first... but it's in the back of my mind.

And Sharpe, I could have sworn Frick said one of those trannys came from a chevy...

EDIT: Thanks Flem!

I just deleted 3 responses that I was going to write. I'll just say good luck and pray hard at night. Jesus is the only one that's going to make this happen.

Edit: tools required to stab a tranny? A jack, some assorted wrenches and sockets... You'd better start investing. I hate to say this, but the tool set at work we got from harbor freight was fairly complete and has held up well.
    Last edited by Doug Krebs; 05-17-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Well...it's going to be a learning experience.

Unless you just happen to fall into a quadrajunk transfer case for cheap I would plan on something else. Flem's option 4 of the late TF727 and D300 sounds like a good combo. The 727 is not generally popular but sounds better than the other options. On the more complicated side maybe a manual trans and D300 from a CJ would work? The more complicated part being you would have to figure out how to put a clutch pedal and hydraulics in.

And don't worry about people ****ting on your thread. Just remember...**** happens.
    BDR

cj transmissions are shorter, shifter would be in the wrong place. 360 flywheels are kind of hard to find too. They are balanced to the engine so any amc flywheel won't work.

i would say the "thingy" is a fomoco ignition module. amc used any and everybodys parts. the 70's cherokee i had also had one, except it was melted to the fender. thus why it doesnt run. does it have another ignition box on it somewhere? should be able to chase the wires from the distributor to what im talking about.

goodluck. there are only two jeeps i like. a willys pick-up and a 2 door cherokee. whether it be a FSJ or a XJ. IF you ever, and if, get this together and working, it will be one cool rig.

are the amc 360 engine mounts the same as dodge?

that jeep has gold box ignition, not duraspark.

if that TH400 is for a buick, i might steal it from ya if its worth a damn pockets