Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chief

Ryan, dont even think of trying to rebuild an auto tranny or swap in a manual yet. Just installing one will be enough of an endeavour for you. Try to find a good, working take-out trans with whatever t-case you can get, then figure out the rear axle and driveshaft situation from there.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
    Ryan, dont even think of trying to rebuild an auto tranny or swap in a manual yet. Just installing one will be enough of an endeavour for you. Try to find a good, working take-out trans with whatever t-case you can get, then figure out the rear axle and driveshaft situation from there.
    +1, and ignore the douchebags.

Spend $50 on a car cover if you're storing it in town...keeps the man off your back.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

ill be your pickup man
    I can not think of a worse project for you than this.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    http://collegestation.craigslist.org...164135157.html

Runs and drives, you should have bought it.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    I can not think of a worse project for you than this.
    SILENCE!!
    BDR

"Hot Pocket's Hot Mess" has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by urban dictionary
    hot mess
    Someone or Something that is such a mess... the level of it, is off of the charts. It's past pathetic, past pitiful. It's to the point you almost have to walk away to keep from bustin a gut. Hot messes can exist in levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Paint it silver and you can call it the Moldy Burrito.

Chief
    Karl - Thanks for all of that.. a lot

Jimmy - Sorry for over-reacting.. I wasn't exactly, err sober.

Mudtoy - I did a lot of research yesterday on misc. stuff, and from what I read the quadratrac sucks... Since I've got time and after talking to Frick... I'd like to find a Dana 20 for it and avoid having to spend a whole bunch of money right away on an adapter for a Dana 300

As far as transmissions go.. The Turbo 400 in the back is no good. Frick said that it's basically been cracked and isn't really worth the money to get it fixed. I'd like to get rid of the other one and use the money for that to buy a TH400 that will fit, or a straight up trade would be good. So if anyone knows a hookup that could get me a working TH400, give em my number.

I think I'll get on that excel sheet now.
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

I've got a couple dana 20's that need a good home. Not sure on the applications they are originally from though.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
    Very Good Idea, I have made a sheet for all of my builds and never once stuck to them.

I won't **** anymore in your thread, I'll try to be constructive. However, you have clearly illustrated that you aren't interested in our advice if you actually try to build this thing instead of buying something that runs, isn't rusted through in every panel, and actually has aftermarket support. Go ask Chris Scotti what he thinks about this idea. I say Chris not to be an ass, but because I think he was probably in your shoes at one point (except his truck ran) and I would say his mechanical abilities were probably similar if not better. He spent THOUSANDS of dollars on his truck, had a shop in town do a lot of the work, and in the end he parted it out and bought his buggy. I'm thinking he will probably say to take some advice from the club on things like this, (maybe not when it comes with sleeping with your roomate, but definitely when it comes to trucks) I like Karl's idea of the spreadsheet, and price out everything, regearing, bearings you will need, tools you will have to buy, brakes, fluids, steering, seats, wheels, tires, (even minor details like transfer cases and a transmission) etc. etc. Then take whatever you have estimated and multiply it by 1.5 or 2 to get what you probably are actually going to spend. If you still like that idea, and have a place you can spend every week/weekend of your college career working on it, do eeet. I'm just saying the only people in the club to buy a shell of a vehicle like this and make it an offroad rig either know their ****, and/or have enough money to make it happen. In my mind, minimum it would take around a grand to get that thing on the trail using used everything, and not anything cool, just running around. Ask frick what he has in that abortion that he is trying not to spend any money on whatsoever. Ok, I'll quit here, I'm sorry again for ****ting on The Quief, and doubting your abilities, it's not really anything personal, it's just this is a terrible idea.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Karl - Thanks for all of that.. a lot

Jimmy - Sorry for over-reacting.. I wasn't exactly, err sober.

Mudtoy - I did a lot of research yesterday on misc. stuff, and from what I read the quadratrac sucks... Since I've got time and after talking to Frick... I'd like to find a Dana 20 for it and avoid having to spend a whole bunch of money right away on an adapter for a Dana 300

As far as transmissions go.. The Turbo 400 in the back is no good. Frick said that it's basically been cracked and isn't really worth the money to get it fixed. I'd like to get rid of the other one and use the money for that to buy a TH400 that will fit, or a straight up trade would be good. So if anyone knows a hookup that could get me a working TH400, give em my number.

The Quadratrac doesn't suck. Its just received a bad reputation due to a long line of idiots who didn't maintain them, or just didn't understand how they work. For daily driving, snow, wet roads, and minor offroading...they're great. They aren't a rockcrawler's t-case though.

Are the internals of that TH400 good? Tranny housing damage from the crappy front shaft was so common with FSJs they actually used to make a repair kit for them...

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209 View Post
    Are the internals of that TH400 good? Tranny housing damage from the crappy front shaft was so common with FSJs they actually used to make a repair kit for them...
    No. He said it's junk
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

True Hollywood Stry
    it is cracked pretty damn bad but i would look into the repair kit if it is still made. the other tranny is from an fsj but not the right bellhousing you need.

i would go find another th-400 and quadra-trac and call it good. Im pretty sure if u put a center t-case in there it would not be a problem with that axle, because i have a offset t-case and a centered rear axle.

the roof is not rusted out that is mainly surface rust.

good luck look for the guy i mentioned that was selling fsj stuff on craigslist.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

you don't need an adapter for a 300, you need a 1980 and up transmission.