Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chief

lowballing someone
    but if you did that unless you got a cj tranny you would have to get a d300 b/c the 80 and up fsj's are drivers drop
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

so your saying to bolt a dana 300 up to a transmission you would have to first obtain a dana 300? Damn, thats very eye opening

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout View Post
    I won't **** anymore in your thread, I'll try to be constructive. However, you have clearly illustrated that you aren't interested in our advice if you actually try to build this thing instead of buying something that runs, isn't rusted through in every panel, and actually has aftermarket support. Go ask Chris Scotti what he thinks about this idea. I say Chris not to be an ass, but because I think he was probably in your shoes at one point (except his truck ran) and I would say his mechanical abilities were probably similar if not better. He spent THOUSANDS of dollars on his truck, had a shop in town do a lot of the work, and in the end he parted it out and bought his buggy. I'm thinking he will probably say to take some advice from the club on things like this, (maybe not when it comes with sleeping with your roomate, but definitely when it comes to trucks) I like Karl's idea of the spreadsheet, and price out everything, regearing, bearings you will need, tools you will have to buy, brakes, fluids, steering, seats, wheels, tires, (even minor details like transfer cases and a transmission) etc. etc. Then take whatever you have estimated and multiply it by 1.5 or 2 to get what you probably are actually going to spend. If you still like that idea, and have a place you can spend every week/weekend of your college career working on it, do eeet. I'm just saying the only people in the club to buy a shell of a vehicle like this and make it an offroad rig either know their ****, and/or have enough money to make it happen. In my mind, minimum it would take around a grand to get that thing on the trail using used everything, and not anything cool, just running around. Ask frick what he has in that abortion that he is trying not to spend any money on whatsoever. Ok, I'll quit here, I'm sorry again for ****ting on The Quief, and doubting your abilities, it's not really anything personal, it's just this is a terrible idea.
    Give the Governor a Harumph!! Harumph, Harumph!!!

Jimmy =

Chief
    Time to get realistic.

Who wants what parts?

1976 cherokee cheif 2 door
    360 v-8 with 4 barrel edelbrock carb, guy i bought it from said it ran pretty good but might need the carb rebuilt, unknown mileage.

2- th400 trans one that came out of the truck that the case is trashed because of a blown front d-shaft(evidently a common problem in wagoneer/cherokees of this vintage. The other trans supposedly came out of a 79 wagoneer, but doesnt have the same bell housing pattern as the one that came from the truck

4 -stock aluminium 5 slot 6 lug 15inch wheels with stock rear hub caps

suspension- front sprungover with stock springs, and a 1 block under the springs. Caster has set at 5 degree's when the perches were welded on. Rear 6 in skyjacker block kit. Steering is stock steering flipped over the knuckles(may be stock) with a 6 inch skyjacker drop pitman arm. The brake lines have been extended.

Dana 44's f/r previous owner said that it had 3.54 gears.

Driveshafts i have both f/r driveshafts the front needs one of the u-joints in the double cardan joint. i have a spare front d-shaft that will go with it.

Motor has a york, and will come with a battery, also has cruise control but it is not hooked up. Motor was running when tranny was pulled.

Body has been completey bedlined with some thing like dupli-color or herculiner. Body has maybe 4 spots with bondo, but they hardly noticable. This truck has some of the best sheetmetal as far as rust that i have seen on jeeps of this age that are in the sub 1k dollar range. Interior is stock, but seats need recovering. Floor pans and floor are solid and have been bedlined as well. factory roof rack still installed and in good shape. The back windows still open. All windows in the truck are manual and work. The back tailgate is missing the glass but i will throw in the one from my wagoneer. The front grille is also in great shape and has a good shine to it. Tailgate is a little hard to close.

The previous owner used a boat gas tank behind the driver seat to fuel the truck but i will throw in a stock tank that will work in this truck as well.

The back c-channel crossmember that runs under the tailgate of the truck has been removed, because of getting bent when the truck was pulled out of the mud when the tranny broke before i bought it.
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Wait...what?

If you're doing what I'm taking that as...

I want the wheels, rear manual window setup, and the carb.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209 View Post
    Wait...what?

If you're doing what I'm taking that as...

I want the wheels, rear manual window setup, and the carb.
    How much.. my goal is to just make back what I sold it for, and a little extra to cover the tools I'm gonna need to buy.

I figure this is a much smarter way to get my bearings under me while getting me some experience in the whole thing
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    I have you to thank for this

I got started on the excel sheet and all the little $20 trips to o'reilly add up, fast

Not to mention my boss came back at me today with "we aren't going to be able to get you more than 25 hours" when I had asked him the previous week for 40+ and he said no problem. I'm probably going to drag this thing home to Houston and part it out there.

Yeah, sweet blog I know

Damn it, can you still use the candle stick in the library?

This has to be some sort of record flemming-out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    This has to be some sort of record flemming-out!
    x2!!

Hot Pocket, I think you can get what you need to, actually you can probably make a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post

I got started on the excel sheet and all the little $20 trips to o'reilly add up, fast

Not to mention my boss came back at me today with "we aren't going to be able to get you more than 25 hours" when I had asked him the previous week for 40+ and he said no problem. I'm probably going to drag this thing home to Houston and part it out there.

Yeah, sweet blog I know

Honestly, I would've tried to help ya with this project any way I could, as I'm sure most people in the club would have. But you're definitely taking the smarter course of action here...this Cherokee is/was not a great starting point for a lot of people, and is worth more as parts than as a whole. Just keep saving those pennies, and I'm sure a far better rig will come along that you can afford. (Coming from a moron with two project Jeeps with no end in sight )

You've got a PM.

Put a parting out ad on the IFSJA.org's boards, and if you're willing to do a little effort shipping...you should make money on this thing.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Look!! Hot Pocket is setting an example for what about half of us should have done with our projects!
    BDR

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post

Hey man, it gets scary when you add up how much stuff costs. Imagine trying to build a nice car like my chevelle, where you have 4g's in paint and an engine with $3500 in machine work alone....

Anywho, I know a guy who will give you $100 for the axles.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Chief
    Hey man, it gets scary when you add up how much stuff costs. Imagine trying to build a nice car like my chevelle, where you have 4g's in paint and an engine with $3500 in machine work alone....

Great.. give him my number

713 470 7658

And yeah... after sleeping on it, I just feel like it's smarter to repeat this process until I can get a decent rig.

Karl you're a genius! Use a spreadsheet to predict and track costs!?! I feel like this could really help the construction industry! I might try to integrate a couple of spreadsheets into my daily work....hell i might even replace this abacus with one of them calculators!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!