Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1356 Doubler, It's like Bigfoot

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    One guy warned me that warping could be an issue. We could easily test a piece. I also know where a tool post grinder is... I planned on messing around with this at christmas time.
    I really don't think warping would be an issue. I could be wrong. I have heard about dimensions changing during the heat treating process. As a rule of thumb I think you can plan on "growing" the OD by 1% when something is quenched.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    this idea would probably work well in a solid axle explorer

doug do you have access to the heat treating stuff in the room behind where you sit on tamor all day?
    No, a 1356 will not fit between the frame rails. You would have to use a 1350.
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

my mistake. can we call it the kludge-v ?

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    my mistake. can we call it the kludge-v ?

I have told Krebs before I am interested in doing this but with a NP242 and Chevy 205. I have a couple of Np242's out of military HMMWVs at my shop and while the cases are significantly different than a normal chevy 241, I'm prety sure they use the same planetaries and shifting mechanism. The 242's are full time but that shouldnt matter for a dubler. I told Krebs he can have one of the 242's if we can make this work. The biggest issue with this setup that I can think of is the inner shift rail that Karl mentioned. On one buildup I saw, the guy put a freeze plug in the normal shift rail hole and extended the rail out the back of the case.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

True Hollywood Stry
    the problem some people have had is breaking the stub shaft between the two cases. I believe that this is more of an issue of the guys that have done spooky welding of the two shafts pieces or left it in stock form. You got a long wheelbase just slide the two together, and run a pillow block front d-shaft.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Just watch the classifieds and pick up a STAK or Atlas. They come up for around a grand, except for the bolt in jeep one. Bolt it up and sell all your other cases. Then use the extra time you have to swap the d60 in the front of the Klogger, or work on the Chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    You got a long wheelbase just slide the two together, and run a pillow block front d-shaft.
    Yeah, from what I have read the pillow block does not work out so good and results in shafts breaking into things like transfer cases...
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Any of you guys ever heard of this guy?

http://www.performancecryogenics.com/pricing.html

Claims he will cut, respline, and heat treat a shaft for $200.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    IIRC, that is the guy alot of the pbb'ers go to. He used to offer the 'cage' for the H1's that you welded together yourself (to use in place of the pvc insert).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    I guess what guys like D.D. Machine do is cut the shaft then re-heat treat it? I know he had an option where you could send in your current shaft and he would cut it down.

Side note, Scott had an axle shaft resplined by Moser. I don't think it was heat treated after the machining and I am guessing it is still working. So why would that work and not this? Is it because you have to take too much material off and get out of the outside hardened area?
    so I just looked at this thread...

there is only like one company that heat treats after machining and only one that rolls the splines. If you read the "sales pitch" on Moser or some of the other custom axle guys, cut threads sound just fine.

Actually - all new shafts from Moser and Currie (amung others) are cut after heat treating.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol View Post
    Actually - all new shafts from Moser and Currie (amung others) are cut after heat treating.
    I think the issue is that when you respline one of these shafts you cut over 0.050 off the diameter. From waht I have read the heat treating results in a surface hardness that is only about .015 thick, so in effect you would cut away much of the surface hardness.

On a different thought, if you think of how the gear reduction works (and I am probably stating the obvious here), the shaft in the rear axle sees much more torque, but less rpm's than the one in the T-case. So if it would hold up in an axle, I think it would hold up in a t-case. I suspect most people's failure with welding and press fit gayness in transfer cases is the result of the higher number cycles that cause fatigue rather than one shock load.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette