Thread: how hard is it to intall some quarters?

how hard is it to intall some quarters?

Ive got a 79 bronco and the rear quarters are all rusted out. I bought new ones and I don't really have the tools or skill required to do the job i think. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it really that hard?

in theory it isn't too hard but the welding sucks. but i am not a body guy ask Clarke for better advice
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Do the quarters have a bevel where you can lap weld them or is it butt welded?

I would say it is not hard with a proper mig and place to do it. Where I would f' it up is I would get in a hurry. I mean you have to cut your old stuff out, cut the new panels, fit them right, tack them, make sure they are right, seam weld them, grind that down, primer it, float that primer, sand it, re-sand it, re-prime/sand multiple times, then paint.

In other words it is hard to fit this into a weekend and you need a clean place to spray primer and paint.

Tigweld/St. John is probably the resident expert on how it "should" be done.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    If you have to butt weld it, get some thin strap to back the weld with. Makes a huge difference on that thin ass metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

no it is held on by spot welds on the backside of the panel. You have to cut the spot welds then spot weld the new panel on.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    If that is all you are doing, then anyone with decent mig skills should be able to help hook you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    no it is held on by spot welds on the backside of the panel. You have to cut the spot welds then spot weld the new panel on.
    This confuses me. Your saying it is only spot welded on?

Whatever the case i have a mig and plasma, if you want to give it a shot over here just let me know.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    So the fender on the truck is not original now? Because from the factory this is not how it came.

Seems like what you are describing is a replacement fender with a lap seam, this makes life a little easier.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

i got a whole replacement quarterpanel. The original is held onto the rest of the body by spot welds around the perimiter.

its not too hard you really just need to take your time and remember to check your door and tailgate fit before you final weld anything. aftermarket quarters are usually thinner and don't match perfect so they take a little more tweakin' to get to fit(if you don't have a good hammer dolly set-up u need to). I don't know where all the factory lead seams on a early bronco are if any(maybe rocker,upper cab corner) but if you get into one you will have the sweat the factory lead out if you want it to weld very well in the areas around it. IMO quarters if you need them to be perfect(show car) really should be left to a pro, but on an off road truck or driver its a good learning experiance for someone looking to save a buck.

If you have any ?'s during the process fill free to post some pix and I sure I can give you some idea's