Thread: Natural Gas Heater(S)

Natural Gas Heater(S)

Looking to go high tech on heating the shop this winter. We ran gas out to it last weekend, now we need a heater or two. Natural Gas, open to ideas. We are thinking a couple of radiant heaters hung on the wall opposite the big door. Let me know if you see a good deal on any.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout View Post
    Looking to go high tech on heating the shop this winter. We ran gas out to it last weekend, now we need a heater or two. Natural Gas, open to ideas. We are thinking a couple of radiant heaters hung on the wall opposite the big door. Let me know if you see a good deal on any.
    We bought a radiant heater for our shop at work 2 winters ago. It doesn't do squat in the shop as all the heat goes into top 4-5 feet.

After that we bought an old school peerless hanging shop heater that has a fan on the back. It will heat the shop from the 30's to the 60's in under 30 mins. Heater cost ~100 of swico and it needed a new gas valve ~70.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

My inner hippie's gonna rebel, but whaddabout a waste oil heater? Hippies like to make them out of old water heaters to burn veggie oil, but they were really designed to burn motor oil. Basically just an orifice that heats the oil and feeds it slowly to the firebox
    http://www.journeytoforever.org/biof...earth/me4.html
    Put a fan in front of it to disperse the heat, profit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

yeah I may have to build one or two of those when I get to colorado, I am pretty good at making good quanaties of waste oil all by myself
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

The TAMU shop had (has) radiant heaters in it. There was one for every bay, and they would put out some heat. The doors were always opening and closing, but if you stood in front of one it would torch you. I am sure they were not cheap either. That being said, I didn't like them. They would dry the air out really bad, which I hate.

My dad has had wall mount infrared heaters in our farm house for a while after seeing one at my Aunt's house many years ago. They are adjustable, can come with a thermostat, and don't dry the air out. Not sure how or why. (feel free to jump in anyone who has passed thermo) We even had one at our house in Irving in addition to the central heat, just to knock the chill out of the living area.

Another thing to think about is insulation. I know that shop is relatively draft free, but I would guess that having some insulation would help keep the comfort level up and keep you from burning too much fuel. If that's even a concern.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Dougie/Seth: Were your heaters like these dudes?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/1490982765.html

I think the old school ones like you are talking about will work, Doug but we're trying to keep from having to run a vent, and these put out some heat.

I think the ceilings are too high for those little dudes you are talking about seth. We put two of them in a tiny little house one time, would think you would need multiple to make a dent in the shop.

For those that don't know, the shop is about 1000 sq. ft., ceiling is about 15-18' tall in the center and is in the process of becoming completely insulated.
    Last edited by BMFScout; 12-02-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Boats and hoes

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout View Post
    Dougie/Seth: Were your heaters like these dudes?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/1490982765.html
    those are the one we have at the shop at Easterwood. no insulation and it stays warm as long as the door is down.

Are you in a hangar over there or a shop? How tall are the ceilings?
    Boats and hoes

Yeah, Jimmy, I meant to say that. What I was thinking is since the wall units are cheapish, you could hang one on the wall to walk up to and warm up for 100 bucks, and hang 2 or 3 along the wall on either side of the impala grill. Those ones you listed look like a pretty good deal.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I have one you can have has a small dent in it where i got to close wit my trailer but good otherwise I think

I'll pay your dues! The problem with those is we don't have any wall space really at ground floor.
    Boats and hoes

this is a hanging unit out of a shop much larger than yours(my dad's building demo buddy gave it to me if i would take it down out of the building he was wreckin')