Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Diesel

8.1, Solves all problems, including money saved over buying a diesel I am always amazed how much more diesels are to comprable trucks. Paid 11.700 for my 04 crew cab dually with an 8.1. Diesel would be 5K more.

Btw, I jones for the murdered out excusion on 20's you see around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackasic View Post
    8.1, Solves all problems, including money saved over buying a diesel I am always amazed how much more diesels are to comprable trucks. Paid 11.700 for my 04 crew cab dually with an 8.1. Diesel would be 5K more.
    what does that thing get on the highway? 11? 12?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

After reading that entire dually thread it made me wonder

1. How did it run with 200k before the upgrades?

2. What's the most cost efficient way to get safe power?

3. Is a powerstroke a good choice for a dd? It seems like you had to dump a bunch of money into things like clutches etc.

4. How expensive are parts compared to my bronco.
    Last edited by TdmayfieldIV; 12-29-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I bought my F-250 with 100k on it, I sold it with 265k. I daily drove it for like 4 years. I never installed a single "performance part" on it. The heaviest thing I towed was a 4k goose neck with a 6k load (10k), It would do 95+ mph with this 10k load.

At 150k, the throw out bearing on the clutch went out. I put a new clutch and flywheel in it. Travis put some super spank off clutch in his and it f' up. I put the LUK stock like clutch and never had an issue.

Parts, it does not matter if it is Ford, Dodge, or Chevy, if it is a 3/4 or 1 ton parts cost more. Example, my '96 Bronco, I could do a complete clutch job for under $500, my F-250 the parts are closer to $800. The unit bearings on the front axle are like $500 a set.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Having a hard time understanding why you want a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel truck to take over daily driving duties from your trail rig. Is your trail rig street legal? Relatively reliable? What does your daily drive entail? Hauling heavy machinery? Car payments suck. Driving a beat-ass 4x4 to school kicks ass. Buying a big ass truck so you can be more comfortable driving from bryan to campus every day with the occasional trip to Houston (or wherever your parents live) is retarded. Snip a couple branches off that money tree and fix whatever's wrong with your wheeling rig and you will be much better off in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    That being said about F-250's, mine always had a little oil leak.

Clarke has one too, and has similar oil leak issues.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Like karl said, he had a '99 and put that truck through every kind of hell there is, and it kept coming back for more. Even all bashed up and wore the fork out at 200k+ miles, it still would push you back in the seat if you let it wind up.

I dont prefer the interiors on those trucks or the dodges of that era either for that matter. I could live with the crew cab but the ext cab on karl's 99 was a step away from a jump seat.

I would pimp a powerstroke, i think you'll have trouble finding one with low enough miles below $10k.

As long as you dont try to rice it out, it will be reliable. Karl's was bone stock and pulled one rig just fine and im quite sure it could pull more weight fine.

Travis riced the fork out of his, i bet that's most of his problems (im not going to back to read his whole thread)

Parts for diesels arent cheap like 78 bronco parts will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Yeah, my parents will be moving to germany this summer and they want me to have a car that I won't have to work on every weekend. My bronco is in no way reliabe, in fact I will be pulling the motor out as soon as I get back from colorado.

Double post
    Last edited by TdmayfieldIV; 12-29-2009 at 03:12 PM.

They run fine with 200K, unless they're worn out. My dad's got one with 230 that's good, my little brother had one with 140 that had enough blow by to blow out the dipstick. Take the oil fill cap off with the engine running, if there's a shocking amount of blow-by coming out, don't buy it.

Just put a 60-80hp tune on it. Seems much more and the clutch will slip.

Gonna be just as good DD as anything else of similar age.

Anything to do with the engine or drivetrain will be much more expensive. Figure 4x for engine, 2x for drivetrain.
    Last edited by eight; 12-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Before I replaced the 2nd motor in my bronco it was spraying oil out of the dipstick and it had so much crank pressure it crushed ny valley pan

is your bronco a trailer queen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Nope I drive it every day

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    Having a hard time understanding why you want a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel truck to take over daily driving duties from your trail rig. Is your trail rig street legal? Relatively reliable? What does your daily drive entail? Hauling heavy machinery?
    Keep logic out of this decision
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4