Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Diesel

ill be your pickup man
    All my ant-diesel sentiment aside, I think you would be seriously limiting yourself by making a diesel engine a requirement. 10k is not going to find you a 'nice' diesel truck. I have seen 01-02 4wd 7.3s with 100k+ going for over $20k. That is an 8+ year old truck for what I paid for my 1/2 ton NEW!

I too once thought I needed a diesel, but my Bronco+ trailer only weighs about 8500lbs, so I knew I didn't need one You don't need one either, but you want one, which is fine, I just think better trucks can be found in that price range if you take away the diesel part and start looking at 1/2 tons.

I disagree with Hippy on the whole put money into a 78 Bronco and DD/wheel it. I had aspirations for the whole RRDH thing, but turns out it is much more fun to wheel without worrying about the several hundred mile drive home.

Cons:
    more expensive up front
    more $ to maintain
    more $ to repair
    more $ to fill up (i think?)

Pros:
    circle jerks with Tyler and Travis
    you can pull 4 rigs across I70 once a year
    copious amounts of smoke
    higher resale if you don't rice it out
    you can idle all night

Its your decision
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

You have to dig through so much **** to get any useful information on this forum

Oh and ill never buy a truck off ebay, it was just an example of an acceptable looking one.

Yeah it makes sense what you are saying, I know I really don't need a diesel I just want one. Ill keep my eyes open for any nice truck in the 10k range.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    You have to dig through so much **** to get any useful information on this forum
    price is right, though
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

4x2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I like how every diesel threads turns into a "you don't need a diesel" thread.

Anyhow, Have you thought about getting an automatic? Standards in the Fords are not very common and almost always demand a premium. The auto's have a bad name but it's pretty easy to get 100k miles, especially since your only planning on towing a bronco.

Having someone replace the auto: $1500-2000 (done this)
    Having someone put in a stock clutch: $800-1200 (estimate)
    Having someone put in a southbend clutch: $1800 (quoted this before)

I've been converted to auto's, I spend more time offroad than I do pulling anything and the auto is better suited for this.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post

Cons:
    more expensive up front
    more $ to maintain
    more $ to repair
    more $ to fill up (i think?)

Pros:
    circle jerks with Tyler and Travis
    you can pull 4 rigs across I70 once a year
    copious amounts of smoke
    higher resale if you don't rice it out
    you can idle all night

Its your decision
    for all 160k on my truck. i replaced the lift pump for $125. 10k oil change intervals at $70 (including fuel filter). i replaced my front rotors and pads for $215. the rear brakes are still factory. found a decent ceramic clutch for $450, doing the install myself. so maintaining one isnt more expensive in my book. i spent over 2k on my old gas dodge. auto trans was $1800 alone.
    meh on the mileage, 18 city, 22 highway. diesel is about 35 cents more a gallon and twice the fun.

i can also pull colmans trailer at 80mph, with 6k on it, get 16mpg. set the cruise and never know its behind me.

Im also a firm believer in muffs, so quit putting me in the fag category

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    I've been converted to auto's, I spend more time offroad than I do pulling anything and the auto is better suited for this.
    cause your a pus'say

47RE also sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post

Im also a firm believer in muffs, so quit putting me in the fag category
    I heard this was up for debate...

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    I heard this was up for debate...

hoping someone would catch that blackflipoff

i replaced my front rotors and pads for $215. the rear brakes are still factory.
    That is up for debate

2wd's also suck ass

Also Walmart will change your oil and vacuum your cab for $55.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

for all 160k on my truck. i replaced the lift pump for $125. 10k oil change intervals at $70 (including fuel filter). i replaced my front rotors and pads for $215. the rear brakes are still factory. found a decent ceramic clutch for $450, doing the install myself. so maintaining one isnt more expensive in my book. i spent over 2k on my old gas dodge. auto trans was $1800 alone.
    meh on the mileage, 18 city, 22 highway. diesel is about 35 cents more a gallon and twice the fun.

i can also pull colmans trailer at 80mph, with 6k on it, get 16mpg. set the cruise and never know its behind me.
    seems close, but optimistic. maybe with bargain bin parts and fluids. also, 10k is a while to go without at least a filter change and oil sample.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

john brown, your my hero

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    seems close, but optimistic. maybe with bargain bin parts and fluids. also, 10k is a while to go without at least a filter change and oil sample.
    I use Rotella T and its not more then $15/gallon (3 gallons). Oil filter ~$10.00. Fuel Filter ~$15.00. That is $70... i dont think his $70 is out of line and they arent crappy parts. also, i regularly go 10k between oil changes. the owners manual specifies that interval so long as the conditions arent dirty....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03 View Post
    I use Rotella T and its not more then $15/gallon (3 gallons). Oil filter ~$10.00. Fuel Filter ~$15.00. That is $70... i dont think his $70 is out of line and they arent crappy parts. also, i regularly go 10k between oil changes. the owners manual specifies that interval so long as the conditions arent dirty....
    bingo. How come a medium duty truck with a 5.9L can get its ass worked off and changed every 10k. yet my dodge hauling my ass around cant do the same? that also goes for a DT444E as well.

18 around b/cs is about what i get. ive never gotten less than 17 unless im pulling a trailer.

the lift pumps for a 555 series cummins were discontinued. they arent the same as a 24v or a 600 series. i wasnt going to drop $400 on a in tank or aftermarket and found one online for $125. i got lucky.