Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Looking for a Diesel

True Hollywood Stry
    John brown what number transmission are you on with your f-150? I thought you were worried about your trans again on the way to Clayton? Towing a lifted and modified bronco with a half ton is not a good idea. His bronco weighs about 5300 stock plus add ons. Let's say another 1500 for a trailer and you are most likey exceeding the gwvr for most half tons he could afford.

If his parents want to buy him a nicer truck more power to him. Most people in this club have tow rigs or have someone with a tow rig trailer their rig for them. Karl got a really nice truck for a really good price. I'm sure he can find a good deal once he knows what he wants and realizes it will take some time to find. I'm quite sure you can get a good truck for 10k.

Good luck finding your truck man.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    John brown what number transmission are you on with your f-150? I thought you were worried about your trans again on the way to Clayton? Towing a lifted and modified bronco with a half ton is not a good idea. His bronco weighs about 5300 stock plus add ons. Let's say another 1500 for a trailer and you are most likey exceeding the gwvr for most half tons he could afford.

If his parents want to buy him a nicer truck more power to him. Most people in this club have tow rigs or have someone with a tow rig trailer their rig for them. Karl got a really nice truck for a really good price. I'm sure he can find a good deal once he knows what he wants and realizes it will take some time to find. I'm quite sure you can get a good truck for 10k.

Good luck finding your truck man.
    My first trans failure was due to a reverse burnout. Dumb. My 2nd trans is being fixed right now due to being driven 120+ miles a day for the past 2.5 years and having 160k miles on it. You are dumb if you think these newer trucks can't pull 8k. I have maintained it otherwise and it has been a better truck than I ever imagined.

My Bronco weighs more than that, my trailer weighs more than that, and I pull anywhere from 65-75mph. Jackasses that pull that weight faster are ****ing dumb.

So you think he should buy a ragged out 10k diesel vs. a nicer gasser for the same $. Dumb.
    Last edited by JB; 12-30-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

For as long as your not buying outside of your means, I think it would be dumb not to get what you want. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider a gasser though.

The maintenance on a newer half ton and a diesel would be a wash, My owners manual from the half ton I had, had very strict and costly service intervals.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

To all of you that think i can't get a good diesel truck for my price:

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?YearId=1996&Mileage=100000&Vehi cleClass=UsedCar&ManufacturerId=15&ModelId=102&Pri ceType=Private+Party&VehicleId=9029&SelectionHisto ry=9029|32138|77845|0|0|332956|true|332979|true|33 2970|true|333000|true&Condition=Good&QuizCondition s=

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?YearId=2000&Mileage=100000&Vehi cleClass=UsedCar&ManufacturerId=15&ModelId=102&Pri ceType=Private+Party&VehicleId=5986&SelectionHisto ry=5986|32138|77845|0|0|228421|true|228463|true|22 8438|true&Condition=Good&QuizConditions=

I'll never pay over blue book!!

True Hollywood Stry
    No I think he should buy whatever 3/4 ton one ton that he finds That is worth a **** regardless of gas or diesel.

I'm not trying to start a who drives more thread but last year I put 45k on my 02 work truck. My company swapped it to in town duty now at 260k. My 09 1500 has almost 17k on it and I got it august 29th. We have had to only replace one tranny on a truck that we run. Most are half tons with one or two 3/4 tons.

Putting tons of money into a 78 bronco in order to make it a wheeler daily driver is Dumb, about the same as taking 5k and flushing it down a toilet because the truck won't be worth crap by the time it has been beaten to death.

I'm sure he is wishing he never started this thread..and I'm getting off this dead horse now.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    For as long as your not buying outside of your means, I think it would be dumb not to get what you want. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider a gasser though.
    the key is that it isn't his means, it's his parents. basicly he is on college welfare, I doubt that he is paying for much of anything school related (neither here no their, just saying). Do a favor to your parents who are already horking out 10k a year for your education, don't have them go 10k more into debt just because you don't want to daily drive your bronco. Buy something cheap and an invest the other, no need to have your parents support your hobbies. just an old guy rant

actually my college is paid for by the army. I work for my tuition and i pay for my own books and dry cleaning etc. Believe me, i would rather not be in the corps because its kinda gay. Along with my rotc scholarship i have several other scholarships which make it so my parents only pay a portion of room and board. My dad is a colonel so it is in no way out of his means and he is very smart with his money so I doubt he will pay for the whole thing, i will probably making payments with my stipend from the army every month.

If they move to Germany they will want me to have a car so that i can drive to my aunt and uncle's house in Killeen or my grandma's house in dallas if i need to. My bronco is not reliable at all and i will have no place to work on it myself when they move.

I might not need a diesel, in fact the whole purpose of this thread is to see if a diesel is a good choice for everyday driving.

There is always space available in the Dexter Hizzy driveway if you need to work on ****.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    I might not need a diesel, in fact the whole purpose of this thread is to see if a diesel is a good choice for everyday driving.
    yes

***, it's tamor NO thread stays on subject, that is half the fun

Just so everyone knows, I was joking when I said dump a bunch of money into the bronco.

just take your time to find what youreally want. Do not buy from ebay.

Not sure if I would go diesel. Do you need 4x4 if you have the bronco?