Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Nasty Bastard

True Hollywood Stry
    Couple different reasons#1 is the waggie box mounts inside the frame like a ttb box, and two I have a 78 bronco box that was rebuilt and tapped for hydro by west Texas off-road. This style box mounts to the outside of the frame. If I have to change boxes I might as well use this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    why not use the waggy/cherokee/whateverthefawkitis box off the nastypile along with its steering components to achieve cross over? aint it all GM **** anyways?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

True Hollywood Stry
    Eduardo son las fotos al final del album mejor? Si or no???
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    http://s553.photobucket.com/albums/j...The%20Bastard/

This link works good for me.

I guess they just change the s to an m infront of the number to make it work for mobile phones and such (s553 - m553)

Use 52" springs all the way around, they have a centered pin, can be found easily/cheap and have great flex (and if you are not running monsterous tires, you may not even need a track/axlewrap bar).

Figure out what where you want your front axle, and build plate hangers like I did to get it where you want. I don't have any good pictures of it, but the truck is in aggieland so maybe they can get you pictures of what ever you need (or you can stop by and have a good excuse to make a run to the bird ). Once you have your front axle where you want it, then figure out where you want the rear and move the spring hangers to the right place. ORD makes a good shackle flip kit, and DIY4x4 is the one that has them 'unassembled' (IIRC).

I have a tapped steering box, crossover/highsteer arms and a tierod w/ TRE's at the house if you want them. All from the ORD kit (other than the tierod which Doug tapped for me ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

True Hollywood Stry
    Yeah I changed the upload settings on mobile photobucket. The only reason some were small was because it wouldn't let me delete the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Alright I did some looking tonight and I figured some stuff out.
    The rear is a 6 leaf pack with one huge overload. Part of the reason it doesn't flex well out back is #1 is that the shackle is very short and sits perfectly vertical at ride height, #2 on uptravel the shackle hits the hanger where they did the ghetto shackle flip and dropped it through the bottom of the hanger.

When I measured the wheelbase from center of the front hub to the center of the rear hub it was like 98", if I swap to my stock waggie 54" leaves I can get 4" more wheelbase and get a better shackle angle. If I swap to 2.5 wide 56 inch ford springs I can stretch it by 7" which would give me a great departcher(sp) angle. Or I could put in a 2" zero rate on the stock 52" rears, and call it good.

The front will take some thought since my frame has been cut off right in front of the front spring hangers.
    Why don't more people run waggie rears with an offset or the 56's with the offset in the front?

Look at Pigpen, I extended my frame about a foot to move my front spring hanger out. It was quite a bit of work but worked well for the few hours I got to wheel in Clayton. Plenty of people use the Chevy 56's and IMO they are easier to find these days because GM used them in all tonnage trucks in the 80s. As far as I've seen 52's were only used in 1/2 tons in the 70's and those are getting harder and harder to find. One issue with running the 56's in the front is that to keep your approach angle reasonable you need to run the short side to the front. With the longside and shackle at the rear your pinion angle gets crazy while drooping. It hasnt been a serious issue for me though.

Push/pul won't be taken off for a while because I don't want to change to much on here till I have had it and wheeled it for 6-8 months before changing lots of stuff.

This is a full ****ing FAIL. You no comprende how much push-pull sucks to try to wheel. The second your driver's tire droops more than 6" you lose all steering control, period. See, even Ed has a used setup, get that from him and save yourself the headache.

What would I need to change the np205 for a 208 or 241 that would give me better gearing? I have the figure 8 adapter? Sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about Chevys or standards.

Dont do this. A) It is impossible without a tranny output shaft swap and new adapter and B) its just dumb. Though the 208 and 241 have better gearing they are not as stong and are just plain inferior for our uses
    Also, the idea of putting the Ford box on the chevy is ****ing retarded. Boxes arent that expensive and when you rip whatever kludged together adapter you come up with off the frame, everyone will hate you.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I have a Dodge dana 60 with high steer and behind the axle tie rod that would be great for this! I'll throw in a 14 bolt while I'm at it!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

lowballing someone
    plan:
    get ed's steering
    remove rear overload and replace bootyfab shackle flip with a good one
    52's in front
    dero rates on each end
    narrower tires
    beat it like a redheaded step child
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

I still maintain that "zero rates" are sales snake words for blocks.

yes, please stop calling them that. it just makes you sound dumb.

sharpe, you can find 52" spring on the rear of blazers up to 1990 ish, mine is a 90 and came stock with them

I've only ever had 1 parts truck or driver with 52's and it was a ragged out piece of **** 76 half ton. Every other one I've had, half, 3/4 or 1 ton had 56's. Also, I have no idea how they decide how to build the leaf packs. I dont think I've ever seen two that were identical in the number and thickness of leaves.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Also, I have no idea how they decide how to build the leaf packs. I dont think I've ever seen two that were identical in the number and thickness of leaves.
    maybe they build them the same way we do:
    stand back and squint, jump up and down on it a few times, "yeah, that should work pretty good"
    then when they don't work pretty good, leave it alone anyway because leaf springs are a PITA
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

True Hollywood Stry
    So to get rid off the push/pul I need a different steering box to correct?

Yes a CHEVY 2wd box

lowballing someone
    i have a set of 52's if you are interested
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come