Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloth

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    ...and there it is. My work here is done.

Really Tommy, I know Ryno mentioned a crossmember earlier in this thread. It's a good idea when you have a stamped frame rail. I don't think you're going to "wallow out 12 holes", but you might rip the side of the frame right out.

Also, I don't think you and I have wheeled together, but you're obviously absolutely right, I'm an asshole. I don't help people at all.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

The reason we didn't do any of those things is because the drivers side is cluttered with wires, brake and fuel lines, fuel pump and filter, 205 support foot, and the transfer case crossmember. I barely had enough room for a washer, lock washer and nut.

Down the road i'll be doing a 205/1356 doubler and will build a whole new crossmember then. When I do that i'll tie the r/a mounts into it.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    You need to watch what you say to people tommy. There are many on here, just as with any other site, that mean well but just come across in a manor that will make a thin skinned person butthurt, for example me or fred. For someone that just learned to weld and has a history of makin dumbass mistakes working on their vehicle, you might want to step back and take some advice from others. Even though all the young guys in this club, including myself at times, have the idea that all the old tamorites are the ones running off the newbs, they are still the ones with the experience and knowledge to help this dying club keep its head above water.

As for boxing the frame or building a crossmember, ya it might be a little more work and tough to work around all the **** in there, but overcoming those issue is what being a good fabricator/builder is all about. Just as I told you before, take the time and do it right the first time or you are going to get pissed when **** goes wrong on something that could have been prevented. How hard would it really be to make a bend quick crossmember or make one out of square? The factory had one, but I guess the designers were dumb and dont know how to make a vehicle last 30+ with a monkey driving it.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Karl and I have both had to straighten/repair bent frames at the radius arm mount. You're bracket is plenty beefy, but that doesn't mean squat if the material it's bolted to is 35 years old and abused. Granted, a ttb probably puts more side load on the radius arm bracket than a straight axle with panhard, it's still a good idea to box the frame.

And we all know Fred's an asshole. Only reason he's here is he's the Major's cousin.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    You need to watch what you say to people tommy. There are many on here, just as with any other site, that mean well but just come across in a manor that will make a thin skinned person butthurt, for example me or fred. For someone that just learned to weld and has a history of makin dumbass mistakes working on their vehicle, you might want to step back and take some advice from others. Even though all the young guys in this club, including myself at times, have the idea that all the old tamorites are the ones running off the newbs, they are still the ones with the experience and knowledge to help this dying club keep its head above water.

As for boxing the frame or building a crossmember, ya it might be a little more work and tough to work around all the **** in there, but overcoming those issue is what being a good fabricator/builder is all about. Just as I told you before, take the time and do it right the first time or you are going to get pissed when **** goes wrong on something that could have been prevented. How hard would it really be to make a bend quick crossmember or make one out of square? The factory had one, but I guess the designers were dumb and dont know how to make a vehicle last 30+ with a monkey driving it.

Maybe the people that mean well should watch what they say too... just saying

but lets try this again, and I guess my last post got lost.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Could the frame break somewhere around the mount? Sure
    But after having done a set of James duff arms before and seeing them last fine for the last 4 years I doubt tommy will have much problem.

Reasons for not boxing the frame:
    Save time and money of doing it right
    In nearly every Ford frame I've seen boxed, and no cage, it ends up cracked on the edge where the boxing ends or begins. C channel frame like these are designed to have a certain amount of flex and by strengthening adds stress to the adjacent areas.

Reason for no crossmember:
    Time, money, added hang down

Who has experience with the RA mount breaking the frame? where did it break at? why did it break?

In my experience with extended RAs on fords this set-up has worked fine for many years and boxing the frame has normally lead to a much worse result. Also when I was researching both James Duff and Cage recommended not boxing the frame and said that a cross member was unnecessary, in fact the Duff arm mounts are made for the early bronco boxed frame and their instructions were to cut off the inside ear and bolt up.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

ill be your pickup man
    My rear leaf spring mount is not boxed. No probelms. I had TTB extended arms for many years. Also, no problems.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

The bracket is fine, just keep an eye on the frame. I will scrounge around and see if I have any pics of my frame crack.

Ps Fred - I miss you. You complete me.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Name:  DSC00724.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  59.7 KBName:  DSC00723.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  80.1 KBName:  DSC00543.JPG
Views: 569
Size:  142.7 KBName:  DSC00725.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  62.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    The bracket is fine, just keep an eye on the frame. I will scrounge around and see if I have any pics of my frame crack.

Ps Fred - I miss you. You complete me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I broke the frame on my bronco 5 times before I finally boxed it. I am not saying yours will but it made a difference once I did.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

ill be your pickup man
    1980 Bronco frames were known to have alot of issues right?

Travis, I do not see why a boxed frame would weaker. It would probably not be a bad idea, but I do not think it is totally necessary. We shall see.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

From everything I have heard second hand about Tommy's driving style... I would want that **** as plated, boxed, and reinforced as I could get it!

ill be your pickup man
    He has been wheeling a fullsize rigs on little axles with bro-tires. He hasn't really wheeled hard because he hasnt been able too.

Am I defending Tommy?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

What I'm saying is that I would not feel comfortable boxing the frame unless we did the whole frame and new cross-members or cage. And it would never get done being that we only get to work on this thing maybe 1 day a week.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    The klogger's frame rolled in where the drop down radius arm bracket was almost hitting the driveshaft. I did not box the frame. I hooked my winch to it with a snatch block and straightened it out. Then I took a piece of 2.5" square quarter wall tube. With the frame still being slipped apart I put the piece of tube in between the 2 radius arm mounts. Again this was with TTB, and like BDR said TTB probably puts more load on an axle especially with drop radius arm mounts.

Frick made a giant box like structure for his frame, you might ask his opinion, but I doubt you will since you have a **** attitude.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Yeah I asked frick about it yesterday.

If it breaks it breaks, ill weld it back up and build it stronger.