Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with my d44

Need some help with my d44

My front axle is puking out fluid and i have a broken driver side u-joint. I looked up how to pull the axle shaft to change the seals and it involves pulling out the carrier and a special tool too. I have no idea what i'm doing or the tools to fix it.

Can anyone help me out with this. You won't have to sit there the whole time, i just need a place to work and some help every once and a while. I have time tomorrow and saturday.

A 2wd bronco is pretty useless in my book cause god knows it doesn't make a real good daily driver

If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Tommy

is it ttb? if not I can help. If so, sorry, you probably know more about ttb than I do.

solid axle

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    A 2wd bronco is pretty useless in my book cause god knows it doesn't make a real good daily driver
    Actually, they drive surprisingly well in front wheel drive only...
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I'll be available for sat. afternoon and sunday, monday. Let me know if you need the help.

ok

To replace the seals correctly yes you need to pull the carrier out. This sucks to do. One alternative option is these outter axle seals from Mad 4WD.

http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=485

They go in the outter end of the tubes and will stop *most* of the leaking as well as keep dirt and **** out of the tubes. **** pulling the carrier. We will be working on stuff at The Dexter Hizzy all weekend so you are welcome to work on your **** there. I have a hydraulic press which will make replacing the u-joint suck less.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

where is the dexter hizzy?

lowballing someone
    on dexter........ off of holleman
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    To replace the seals correctly yes you need to pull the carrier out. This sucks to do.

**** pulling the carrier. We will be working on stuff at The Dexter Hizzy all weekend so you are welcome to work on your **** there. I have a hydraulic press which will make replacing the u-joint suck less.
    Since when is pulling a carrier hard? Also, if you think changing a u-joint is a pain in the ass, then you picked the wrong hobby.

The biggest thing about pulling the carrier is making sure you don't get your bearing caps and their orientation mixed up. Then, when you put it back in, put locktite on the bearing cap bolts and torque them down with a torque wrench. When did that become difficult?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Since when is pulling a carrier hard? Also, if you think changing a u-joint is a pain in the ass, then you picked the wrong hobby.

The biggest thing about pulling the carrier is making sure you don't get your bearing caps and their orientation mixed up. Then, when you put it back in, put locktite on the bearing cap bolts and torque them down with a torque wrench. When did that become difficult?
    not that is pertains to a ford D44. but don't some axles require a "case spreader" to pull the carrier?

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Some say you need a case spreader, but I've never needed one. Just a couple of pry bars and being careful. Usually, if it is an original gearset in an older axle, it shouldn't take much to pry out the carrier.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    14bolts are a pain, but no more than anything else we do. After baling hay all through school, I am pretty sure I can change u-joints in my sleep.
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

14 bolt and 9"es are straight ****ing easy to dick with. Dana axles are a relative PITA due to the "need" for case spreaders and pry bars. I have changed PLENTY of u-joints with the good ol' BFH and Danny's sockets but as I said a press makes the whole process suck less. The Dexter Hizzy is at the END of South Dexter Drive on the Holleman side. Give me a call at 361-815-2408 before you come over. I'm drunk right now and will not get up until noon or so but if its not raining around then I'll be working on something.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Ok, let me rephrase that then. The 14bolt that we pulled the carrier out of to take to shupe at TCC was a pain to get out.

(drinking zima's again I see)
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.