Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: '93 F-150 build

I've been looking into converting to mass air on my 5.8 when I swap it in. My main hang up is the E4OD. Conversion kits are $$$, so I wanted to use stock parts from a bronco with a 5.0 and E4OD. Does anybody know if the E4OD was ever used in a mass air application behind a small block, or if the 5.0 computer will run a 5.8 alright? I think all you have to do is change the firing order for the spark plug wires?
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    I've been looking into converting to mass air on my 5.8 when I swap it in. My main hang up is the E4OD. Conversion kits are $$$, so I wanted to use stock parts from a bronco with a 5.0 and E4OD. Does anybody know if the E4OD was ever used in a mass air application behind a small block, or if the 5.0 computer will run a 5.8 alright? I think all you have to do is change the firing order for the spark plug wires?
    yes, and I believe so.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Thats a question for Flem or St. John. I believe you have to have the 5.8/ E4OD computer, which like you said is the most $$$ one, thus the reason I never did mass air on the bronco. I also cant remember if the mass air motors were still batch-fire or if mass air made them sequential-fire, if so then it defently would not interchange, unless it came off of a 5.0HO, but i also dont believe any of those had an E4OD behind them. All in all I would say you have to get the $900 computer.
    Last edited by RCcola55; 05-14-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

The mass air went to sequential from what I could tell from reading about it
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

What benefit does swapping to mass air give you?
    BDR

The speed density only works well if you stay below a certain volumetric efficiency. If I want a better cam or maybe some heads, the SD computer won't work right, where as a mass air will adapt to the better flow, because it calculates the volume of air, not the density of the air at a certain programed VE.
    Last edited by Sparling; 05-16-2011 at 04:42 AM.

If you have a ****ty idle vacuum the mass air is better.

Sparling wtf does this mean?
    mass air will adapt to the better flow, because it calculates the volume of air, not the mass of the air

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Flem, I read that line three times in a row, then scrolled and saw your response and started laughing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought, WTF?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Find a 1995 5.8/e4od computer out of a f-250 and the swap gets easy, all you have to do is swap in the injector wiring, re-pin and maf sensor.

If you want to complicate things use something out of 96 and go to OBD-II

If you want to use a 5.0/e4od computer you will need/want to step up the injectors which will require (IIRC) a maf calibrated to the injectors. Mustang guys always step up injectors so this should be no problem.

Or you can easily tune speed density with something like this (~$350) http://www.tweecer.com/products.htm

edit- actually I think most 5.0 and 5.8s will use 19 lb injectors
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 05-15-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Im out.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Borrowed from FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193842

And the not so dumbed down version: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164963

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle FSB
    How about this:

You can go to www.car-part.com and find a 1995 F150 Federal E4OD WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB) or VEX1 (F5TF-12A650-HB) EEC with J3 Port for $50.00.

Next, you can go to RJM Injection Tech and buy probably the same MAF Upgrade Harness for $150.00. I believe they manufacture them for other companies that sell kits, such as fiveologyracing.

Then you can go to Pro-M Racing and buy a 19 lb/hr calibrated 75mm Mass Air Sensor for $200-$300, depending if you want chrome or not.

Finally, you can go to www.siliconeintakes.com and modify your Air Tube for MAF for $25-$50, or find a complete MAF Intake at the Junk Yard for even less.
    Yes, you will have to re-pin the harness connector at the firewall.

Several specific EEC's are programmed to control an electronic E4OD transmission. You will require a 60-pin EEC-IV/MAF/E4OD/OBD-I computer.

Your choices are as follows:

HOG0 (F4TF-12A650-AAA)
    U4X0 (F4PF-12A650-AA)
    VEX1 (F5TF-12A650-HB)
    WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
    BIO0 (F5TF-12A650-BYA)
    AKC0 (F8TF-12A650-NA)

If you use a non-E4OD EEC, you will then need a separate Transmission Controller.

To use a 104-pin EEC-V/MAF/E4OD/OBD-II computer, you will require the correct EEC, a completely new engine harness, additional sensors and correct connectors. Again, EEC-V uses a 104-pin connector to accommodate more sensors and actuators which your existing 60-pin EEC-IV does not have. Doable, but a challenging and expensive undertaking at best...

Quote Originally Posted by hrod79
    So I looked and it seems that the BIO0 and AKC0 EEC's are the only ones made for the 5.8L engine. Would the others made for the 5.0L not work appropriately? or would there be any issues?
    Yes, they would work appropriately for your relatively stock 5.8L.

A common MAF Upgrade consists of the use of the readily available 1989-1993 Mustang A9L (Manual Transmission) or A9P (Auto Transmission) EEC, which would require a separate Transmission Controller for the E4OD. This is popular for a non-electronic E4OD Bronco application as they are readily available and the separate Transmission Controller is not an issue.

The WAY1 and VEX1 EEC's are from a 1995 F150 5.0L EEC-IV/MAF/E4OD/OBD-I and support the electronic E4OD. They should work fine in a a relatively stock 5.8L, but if you begin to significantly modify your engine then custom tuning through the J3 Port (by way of a custom chip or on-board tuner) may then be required.

Issues in a MAF Upgrade consist of relocating the ACT Sensor from the existing Speed Density Intake Manifold location to the MAF Air Filter Box location due to the existing MAF EEC programming. I personally had the Bin File changed in my custom tune to address the different temperature values and kept the ACT Sensor in the existing Intake Manifold location.

Another issue would be the addition of an additional HEGO Sensor. The WAY1/VEX1/AKCO only require the single O2 Sensor already located in your stock location. The BIO0 and A9L/A9P will require welding in two sensor bungs to provide for the addition of specifically located stereo O2 Sensors.

VSS should not be an issue for your 1995 Rear Differential located VSS. It was for my (pre-1992) 1990 Transfer Case Tailhousing located VSS.

Quote Originally Posted by hrod79
    So far I found two BIO0 EEC's and looks like they would be chip programmable. Would that be the best option because it is specifically from a 5.8L engine?

The BIO0 would be a great EEC for a relatively stock 5.8L as it is from a 1995 California 5.8L EEC-IV/MAF/E4OD/OBD-I Bronco. Addressing the ACT location would be required as well as the addition of stereo O2 Sensors. Problem is the BIO0 is rare and expensive as it was only in the 1995 California 5.8L Bronco.

On the other hand, the AKC0 may not be a good choice without tuning as it is from a performance modified 1993-1995 Lightning with 24 lb/hr fuel injectors.

In summary, the WAY1/VEX1 are the easiest to use for a MAF Upgrade on your 1995 Bronco. They not only have very similar Bin programming files, but there is a lot of support for tuning. Additionally, they are EEC-IV/MAF/E4OD/OBD-I, which only require your existing single Oxygen Sensor and they have a J3 Port for future custom tuning. Without a custom tune, you will still have to install a MAF Air Box to accomodate the relocated ACT Sensor.

If you can find a good BIO0 and are willing to spend the money, it should also work wery well for your 5.8L/E4OD, provided that you address the ACT and stereo HEGO Sensor issues. The advantage of the BIO0 is that it was programmed specifically for the stock 5.8L Bronco.

IMHO, no matter which computer you use, a proper "tune", or reprogramming of the PCM, may be in order for your specific build. Many will attempt to do a MAF Upgrade on the cheap with a closely matched PCM, such as the 5.8L BIO0, attempting to end up efficient. It may run good but unless you provide a custom tune, or install a on-board tuner, you will be settling for "good enough". You may never achieve the most optimum air/fuel ratio over your performance curve. Upgrading to an MAF EEC having a J3 Port will allow you the flexibility to address tunig at a future time, if desired.

See the MAF Link in my signature.

If you're wanting to do this cheaply (not recommended) I say get a lighting computer, 24lb injectors and maybe it'll run right but more than likely you will still have to tune the computer.
    Born to Kill

Haven't decided if I want to plate the sides or run a few vertical tubes between them.

i would plate it
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

True Hollywood Stry
    1 vertical tube and the plate them.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!