Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Who had March 14th?

yes you should just shoot a video with audio of what happens when you turn the key. it would probably be easier than you trying to describe it too us
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    Uhh, if your replaced your alternator, then it shouldnt have died.
    Which is why I'm thinking motor problems

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    Can you jump the truck off and test the alternator first? If the cable slipped off the battery, you may have a bad connection from the alternator to the battery. Check it out again before you go through the trouble of possibly pulling good parts. It may only need a new alternator harness/plug.
    I went through all the connections on the alternator and they're all solid. This thing is new, I don't think it's the problem, especially since the voltage gauge on the dash was in a good zone.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    check to make sure you didn't blow any fuses or fusible links did not blow when the battery cable fell off and grounded against the frame or something
    will do

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    I swear to God I'm gonna learn you if it kills me.

Wouldn't start=what?

Turn key to Acc or Run and all electrical circuits dead?
    Radio/lights/signals/wipers turn on when you put the key to acc but you turn key to "start" and nothing happens?
    Turn key to "start" and starter clicks but won't turn over?
    Turn key to "start" and starter tries to turn over but doesn't have enough power?
    Turns over but won't start?
    Turns over and tries to start?

throw us a freakin bone here
    Electrical circuits still worked, was able to honk horn fine. When I turn key to start, motor turns over, but wont start.
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

now we're getting somewhere...your truck needs 2 things to run: fuel and spark. It's carbureted with a mechanical fuel pump, right? Since it was running before, it's probably getting fuel. Now find out if it's getting spark by pulling a plug, grounding it against the block and see if it sparks when you turn it over. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with the ignition system. If it does, then screw it back in and see if it'll run with some starter fluid. Then you'll know your problem is fuel. Maybe the short killed your icm, coil, blew a fuse or fusible link related to one of these items. 99.999999% sure your current problem would not be solved with an engine or transmission rebuild
    Last edited by uglyota; 03-24-2010 at 01:54 PM.

If its your ignition. the stock box is crapola and i recommend you buy my MSD w/ coil.

msd sucks. skoal lid and a gm hei box

i have an xtra coil if you want to try that. oh and a bunch of skoal cans

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    msd sucks. skoal lid and a gm hei box
    you be quiet. your not helping matters at all

MSD is awesome an then some. but i found a spare durapsark if thats the case.

now we're getting somewhere...your truck needs 2 things to run: fuel and spark. It's carbureted with a mechanical fuel pump, right? Since it was running before, it's probably getting fuel. Now find out if it's getting spark by pulling a plug, grounding it against the block and see if it sparks when you turn it over. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with the ignition system. If it does, then screw it back in and see if it'll run with some starter fluid. Then you'll know your problem is fuel. Maybe the short killed your icm, coil, blew a fuse or fusible link related to one of these items. 99.999999% sure your current problem would not be solved with an engine or transmission rebuild
    the spark is hard to see, I recommend you hold the spark plug in one hand and the intake/alternator/manifold with the other and have a friend try to start the motor. you will know if you are getting spark or not for sure then.

Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

you just have to turn the key to ignition, you don't have to turn it over.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    Don't take pointers from this guy.

lowballing someone
    Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    please only give advice if you know what your talking about.

spark is accumulated/ generates in the coil and is then distributed by the distributer (unless it is new with multi coils but that is another lecture). the rotor inside the cap spins in time with the motor and sends the spark to the correct spark plug wire to the corresponding cylinder. so the motor has to be turning over or running to see if you have spark
    Last edited by colman; 03-25-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Chief
    New plugs and wires... still not firing up.

Checked all the fuses, they're fine. Does this mean MSD ignition? If so, I'm going into unfamiliar territory.
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

I would definitely throw some more money at it before you do any more diagnostics!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Chief
    I would definitely throw some more money at it before you do any more diagnostics!
    That IS the liberal way of doing things!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
    That IS the liberal way of doing things!
    when did Hot Pocket become Obama?