Starting my Klogger9 build...

Plans:
    57" WMS
    4.56 gears
    lincoln locked
    Ford 8.8 disk brakes
    diff skid
    back brace or truss

So...narrowing. The axle is currently 65" WMS, so I gotta take 8" out of it. The center section is offset 1.125" to the passenger side. Do most people take the same amount out of both tubes? Any reason I wouldn't want to take 5.125" drivers/2.875" pass. to center it?

It already has the late model big bearing ends, so I'm planning on reusing them. A possible problem is the tubes are 3.25" diameter and neck down to ~3.125" where the end welds on. When I narrow the housing the ends will now have to weld into the 3.25" diameter. Think I need to get new ends to fit the ID of the 3.25" tube, or will alignment with the jig and a good weld be enough?

For bracing- truss or back brace? I'm leaning toward the back brace because from my measurements the spring perches are going to be pretty close to the center section...making for a pretty short truss.
    BDR

Glad you made this thread. I started my 9" build today too.
    F-150 housing
    Narrowed to stock cj width
    Big Bearing Ends
    Currie nodular third member
    Moser Engineering 35 spline shafts and spool
    4.11 gears
    Trussed/Shaved
    8.8 brakes
    Pinion guard

My housing doesn't taper so I can't help you there sorry.
    I'll either going to re-use the ends or get some from flem.
    I'm hoping to get the alignment pucks and rod from creighton, who I heard had has them now.
    I'm not sure what kind of truss I want to do either. Im thinking rear facing instead of on top because of the complications of spring perches and antiwrap bar brackets.

I just tore mine apart today, it was from a '82 f-150, had 31 spline shafts, crappy a$$ drum brakes and 2.97 gears in the thirdmember. All of which I'll be selling.

Not an immediate build, i'll finish it over the next year or so. I want to run 37s after the 35s wear. I went to awesome auto for a np-435, found only one and didn't like the wear I saw on the gears. I'll look in CS for one.

EDIT. SH*T sorry Jimmy, I pushed the wrong button and your post went bye bye. Sorry again.
    Last edited by 85cj7; 02-08-2009 at 12:04 AM.

I was mistaken I looked again, and mine does taper down about 3" in from the tube ends? I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Over all length is 60 3/4" from flange to flange.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post
    I just tore mine apart today, it was from a '82 f-150, had 31 spline shafts, crappy a$$ drum brakes and 2.97 gears in the thirdmember. All of which I'll be selling.
    Oddly enough, the 9" BDR has was from an '82 F-150 and originally came with 3.00 gears.... Just think in 1981 they could have been sitting next to each other on a shelf, proud cause they were brand new and now they are bothing being bastardized by you idiots.....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

What is the with on a CJ. I think the early bronco housing are about 56.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

From what I've read, the EB is 58" wms.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post
    I'll give you $5 for your crappy ass 31 spline shafts.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    So...narrowing. The axle is currently 65" WMS, so I gotta take 8" out of it. The center section is offset 1.125" to the passenger side. Do most people take the same amount out of both tubes? Any reason I wouldn't want to take 5.125" drivers/2.875" pass. to center it?

For bracing- truss or back brace? I'm leaning toward the back brace because from my measurements the spring perches are going to be pretty close to the center section...making for a pretty short truss.

You would be fine centering it, I think the only thing that matters is preventing the drive shaft from being perfectly straight at ride.

I like the back braces, pretty common in racecars.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

True Hollywood Stry
    be carefull when welding a back or any truss on to much heat and you will warp the whole axle some there is a good thread on fullsize bronco on building a trussed nine ill see if i can find it.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    be carefull when welding a back or any truss on to much heat and you will warp the whole axle some there is a good thread on fullsize bronco on building a trussed nine ill see if i can find it.
    all one sentence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

I measure the amc 20 the drivers side is 25" and the pass. is 26.5". So total length is 51.5" from flange to flange. I'm going to make the 9" the same dimensions.

I have wired wheeled the entire thing. Measured for where I am going to chop it, and removed shock/spring mounts.

I also order this truss today. For how cheap it was I couldn't resist.
    http://www.nineinchracing.com/prodde...?prod=ALL68330

I'm going to get the alignment pucks and rod from Creighton, and Flem has some left over moser bearing ends from his build that I'm getting from him.

These are the plans for the 9" shave.
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=9104

12 gauge seems kinda light for that back brace...though I'm not sure what Moser uses.

Interesting idea on dipping it in water. I guess it works.

What's your timeline on ordering your case? I'm going to use the case that came with it for now, but in order to use Creighton's jig I'd have to get pucks made for the 2.892" OD bearings. If I could borrow your case for setup it would save me some trouble.
    BDR

I'm only using the case to brace the housing while welding the truss and to check for clearance while shaving it. Other than that I don't need it. I'll sell you everything but the housing for $75?

Actually, I was referring to the Strange case you're going to get. Creighton only has the pucks to fit the 3.25" bearing OD aftermarket case. If I could use yours then I wouldn't need to make pucks for the small bearing.

As for the other stuff...I'd give you 40 bucks.
    BDR