Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/4 ton Ford Trail Rig

What about taking the fenders off and running some tubing right along the bottom edge of the hood? Kind of like some jeeps have it. I'll take the bed off before I tear it up too. Since it's a trail rig I wouldn't mind dropping the bed and getting a small flatbed to put on there. I don't want to tear it up too much just in case the price on these trucks goes up a lot. I don't mind body damage but I dislike cutting everything to pieces.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    The front corner of a full size hood can really reach out and get in your way at times. The tubed bed is a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    just in case the price on these trucks goes up a lot.

that truck is beat to hell. i wouldnt worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    just in case the price on these trucks goes up a lot.
    oh my god

Please tell me when this day comes
    Last edited by TdmayfieldIV; 03-31-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Its gonna make a good trail truck but it will never be worth anything, trust me
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    oh my god

Please tell me when this day comes
    You'll be the first to know tommy. This truck is a few patch panels and some paint away from being a really solid truck.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Sweet deal!

Some suggestions to check out to get it running...
    Change the fluids, filters, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, possibly a carb rebuild, and headlights/taillights then go wheeling.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    Its gonna make a good trail truck but it will never be worth anything, trust me
    67-72 are a different story than the 73-79. ive seen more and more of these trucks fixed up, but they will never bring the premium like a 67-72 chevrolet does restored. that doesnt mean it wont ever be worth anything.

since the grille is replaced with awesomeness, it would be nice to know what side of '70 it was made on. 68-69 f250 would be pretty cool if it was restored.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    I would rather see it narrowed than those 'decent' fenders beat to total ****. Just go take a look at my stepside and see how much abuse they have taken.
    the rest of the truck looks ****ed up already, fenders might as well follow.

every full size narrowing/dove tail job done with body panels that i've seen in person pretty much looks like ****.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    67-72 are a different story than the 73-79. ive seen more and more of these trucks fixed up, but they will never bring the premium like a 67-72 chevrolet does restored. that doesnt mean it wont ever be worth anything.

since the grille is replaced with awesomeness, it would be nice to know what side of '70 it was made on. 68-69 f250 would be pretty cool if it was restored.
    but he's talking about turning it into a trail rig......you can't have your cake and eat it too
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    the rest of the truck looks ****ed up already, fenders might as well follow.

every full size narrowing/dove tail job done with body panels that i've seen in person pretty much looks like ****.
    thanks, but yes it would take someone with a lot of patience and body work skills to make it look nice but it is not impossible just that most people don't take the time and just do it, hell its a trail rig and its going to get beat up/ destroyed anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

this one would take a whole lot of work to make nice, but it would make a fun trail rig tho, i say ditch the bed, add some tube, mild lift/shackle reversal, 35 or 36's and have fun

here is a couple pics of my dad's 69 restored, did a full frame off resto, has a 427 cobra jet high riser in it
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by TMatheaus; 03-31-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

The only redeeming factor this truck has for a trail rig is that it's free. Axles are about as strong as those in a CJ but the truck weighs twice as much. That will have a 16 spline 60 rear (1.25" dia shafts) and close knuckle 44 front. Nothing wrong with the rest of the drivetrain as long as the transfer case does have low range.

Would be a cool truck for cruising, hunting, and such.

Quote Originally Posted by eight View Post
    The only redeeming factor this truck has for a trail rig is that it's free. Axles are about as strong as those in a CJ but the truck weighs twice as much. That will have a 16 spline 60 rear (1.25" dia shafts) and close knuckle 44 front. Nothing wrong with the rest of the drivetrain as long as the transfer case does have low range.

Would be a cool truck for cruising, hunting, and such.
    Like I said, this is just a starting point. I'm sure a D60 front and a 10.25 will make it on the truck with time. I think it's time I learn how to weld though. Seems like there's a lot of work I can knock out myself if I could weld. I know it's not the weapon of choice, but would an arc welder be alright for tubing and frame stuff? My grandpa has an arc welder I can use. (this is assuming I learn how to lay down some good welds)

lowballing someone
    it will work. arc is easier to use on thick stuff like frames and what not. there is nothing wrong with it if it is all you have. grab some scrap and do a lot of research online on how to do it and go to town
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come