Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: manual conversion parts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Question, What is this things future? A ZF5 is hard to find, a Mazda 5 is easy and not too bad. A NP435 is pretty easy to find, strong as hell, but no OD. If I was doing the trouble of this I would consider the NP435, if long highway travel was not an issue.
    Since I have a trail rig now, this thing will probably see minimal off road use, so mostly around town and highway driving. I wouldn't mind a different transmission if I found a 4x4 one that would work in good condition, I just read that Zf trannys were solid and have a granny gear and OD. What applications were NP435 used in?
    Last edited by Sparling; 04-02-2010 at 11:19 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

I've done this, but on a 2wd. shouldn't be that different.

finding a windsor pattern zf is hard, and junkyards will either lie or assume that what they have bolts up to a gas engine. The shifter is also hard to find, and most junkyards throw those in the trash and assume you are replacing a defective transmission and won't need it.

The slave cylinder is internal, not a big deal but something that people like to bitch about.

the clutch cylinder should already have the line assembled and be somewhat full of fluid. If it is not sold this way, buy it somewhere else.

the pedal box is the same for 80 to 96 bronco and truck, you'll most likely find it in a single cab 6 cyl 2wd long bed.

theres probably a big ass harness that goes to the auto, my aod only had a few wires. 2 of the wires have to be jumped to make it start, I don't remember what color they are.

if you are only doing this to save money on a rebuild for the auto don't do this. Ford forgot about cupholders when designing trucks, and a manual transmission only makes this problem worse.

I don't remember if I had to shorten the driveshaft. I probably had to, and I probably had the fat guy at driveshaft king do it.

what shape are the two e4od's in?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    what shape are the two e4od's in?
    The one that was in my truck is a 93 E4OD, and I wouldn't put it in a vehicle without first going through it and putting in some new clutches.

The second one is from clarkes 90 bronco and he said it's only got like 40k on it and he pulled it because of some engine problems

I'm not only doing this to save money, I like driving a manual and it's easier to say no when people ask to borrow my truck because not many of my friends can drive manual.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

You don't want to give clarkes a shot before you spend money? I mean, if you are really hell bent on a stick, then go for it, but its going to cost you some cash, and more time. If you are worried about loaning your truck out, just learn to say no, or tell them it has 300k, or make it otherwise un user-friendly.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Since I have a trail rig now, this thing will probably see minimal off road use, so mostly around town and highway driving. I wouldn't mind a different transmission if I found a 4x4 one that would work in good condition, I just read that Zf trannys were solid and have a granny gear and OD. What applications were NP435 used in?
    NP435's came in early 80's fords. They have a very low first gear, like 6.68 to 1 (I think). They are indestructable, but have no OD. I know a guy in Crosby who has one and a bell housing and a flywheel for a 302. Unless you get the super spank off ZF, the first gear is not that insanely low.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    NP435's came in early 80's fords. They have a very low first gear, like 6.68 to 1 (I think). They are indestructable, but have no OD. I know a guy in Crosby who has one and a bell housing and a flywheel for a 302. Unless you get the super spank off ZF, the first gear is not that insanely low.
    Can you find out how much the guy wants for it? And it's a 4x4 NP435 right?

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Can you find out how much the guy wants for it? And it's a 4x4 NP435 right?
    The guy is me....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette