Thread: Trailer registration and title

Registered

Trailer registration and title

Anyone have any experience with getting a trailer titled if the owner doesn't have the title? He says he has a signed affidavit from Tarrant county auto theft task force saying the trailer is clear to recieve title. I figure as long as the vin/serial number is clear and I get a bill of sale, then there should be no issues getting a new title.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Kevin has recent experience with this.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

True Hollywood Stry
    Call me and I will give you the run down on what happened, it was a painful process.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Registered
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bfs/1751660951.html

This is the trailer I'm looking at, I'd probably end up putting the 3rd axel back on and extending the trailer a few more feet to give some room to play with distributing the load of 2 rigs. The guy sent me a form from the DMV where he had it inspected to get a new title, seems legit to me.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...R2tcMGie99ndXw

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Can you find out who it was titled to last and get them to sign it over? Seems it would be easier if the other is a big a pain as Frick is saying.

This might be a better topic for the rig sled thread, but do you think the 'need' for the third axle will outweigh the added cost of tires and stress you will put on them when turning. I am guessing that trailer weighs in around 3500 empty, leaving you w/ 10.5k axle capacity. What does the 'brawnk' weigh in at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Registered
    It has 7K axels under it so I could get by with only using 2. The whole reason for going with a gooseneck is to be able to haul two jeep sized rigs though. I've had a pretty close call with a trailer blowout that almost caused me to flip my truck, thats why I was contemplating putting the 3rd axel on it.

I still haven't made up my mind if I want to mess with it since he doesn't have the title.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Before I handed over any money, I would just take the time to run the vin myself if it is someone I didn't know/trust.

Being you are towing w/ the dodge, the third axle may be a good idea. That thing is an accident waiting to happen anyways.

Just spend the money on good trailer tires, and I think you will be ok. Still, depends on how heavy of rigs you are wanting to haul on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Do you have to have a title to a trailer to license it? The owner of the trailer I bought says he talked to the trailer mfg'r/sales and they said the title was an option he didn't get...but it has current tags?
    BDR

No you don't need the title in tx if it is homebuilt or was built in ok. Check to see if the trailer has any vin numbers on it anywhere if it doesn't just register it as ahomebuilt trailer under 3500 gross
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Garret if you ever plan on moving I wouldn't mess with an untitled trailer. Getting mine titled was a serious PITA, was required to register it, and they would not run a search on the VIN without a vin verification from the DOT.

BDR I don't think you have to have a title to register a trailer in TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Is there a link to this info on TxDOT's website? The company I bought my trailer from was ****ing shady and "forgot" the certificate of origin when it was delivered to me. Naturally, they stopped answering their phones afterward and as far as I know, are now out of business. Since I am fixing to widen the deck and repaint the whole thing, I was planning on just registering it as a brand new home made unit. It is a 10k capacity and since it gets used as such fairly frequently, I would like to register it correctly. I dont have a clue as to how to go about it though.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"