Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: CJ 5 Build

Those sliders are slick.

So you run it without shackles, right?

I've not seen this setup before. I like it.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    Those sliders are slick.

So you run it without shackles, right?

I've not seen this setup before. I like it.
    Correct, they take the place of the shackle.

Liquid Iron Industries makes the slider boxes. I'm interested to see how they perform. There isn't a ton of information on the web about them. My buddy runs them on the front of his J20 and likes them.

Why not go with the more conventional shackle elimination method?

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    Why not go with the more conventional shackle elimination method?
    Ha, I'm assuming you are referring to a link suspension. Honestly, I don't have a great answer to that. This started when I found the slider boxes used on pirate for cheap. When I set off to do this, I had in my mind doing a CHEAP swap to make me a little more happy with the jeep until I swap to tons. My only cost on this is the sliders and consumables.

Really though, i'm happy with how it is turning out so far. I'm hoping the new (lower) ride height will get the jeep back into street driving condition. I still have a lot of parts to collect (and money to save) before I make the next leap to tons, so it is going to have to do...

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Looks like its gonna be really tight between the frame and leaf spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy53002 View Post
    Yeah, there isn't a whole lot of room there. i'm going to mock up the tie rod and drag link with PVC to check clearances. If i can get 3" of up travel on the passenger side, i'll be happy. I may have to notch the frame to get it...
    The steering box isn't going to work where I had it mocked up. I'm going to move it forward a couple inches and up a couple inches. There is very little room to make it all fit. I may mount the drag link to the tie rod like a Y type steering set up. That would keep the drag from having to route over the passenger side spring, so I could save the up-travel.

Really, I'm going to take a harder look at piecing together full hydro. It sure would make packaging easier.

Here is the problem with my original mock up.

As you can see, the tie rod is about 3" directly under the pitman arm. I'm not sure how I over looked that.

So I think I can get by with moving the tie rod back up to the hi-steer arms and moving the drag link onto the knuckle.

Chipping away.

I'll be a bachelor this weekend, so I'm hoping to get a lot done.

The gear box mount was a bitch but it's finally done and boxed in.

The input shaft of the gear box and the radiator want to occupy the same space. I raised the radiator 2" so I have clearance over the box now. New problem is that the lower radiator neck points toward the fan. There is about 1/2" of interference now. I haven't come up with a solution yet.
    I am wondering about the possibility of heating up the water neck and bending it some to make it fit... I don't know if that would work or not.

Anyways, I got tired of dealing with the radiator so I moved on to the rear. I got the pinion angle corrected and started on new lower shock mounts. I wish I could keep the mounts above the axle tube but I only had 1/2" of up travel without sticking them through the tub (which I don't want to do right now.). The new mounts give me 4" of shaft showing.

The todo list is getting shorter.

Ordered a new radiator to help make space for the steering gear box (new rad is shorter).
    Because of the angle on the lower rad hose outlet, I still have a conflict with the outlet and fan.

I think If I can recess the rad into the grill shell and change the angle of the outlet, it should all clear. I may swap to an electric fan to help with the issue too.

I finished cutting out the old grill/body mount and built the new mount off of my winch plate. As you can see I had to chop out a lot of the old winch plate. I will add some bracing later.

Some buddies talked me into redoing the lower rear shock mount I just finished. I flexed everything out and have just enough room to outboard the shocks and keep the mount above the axle tube. I might get that done tonight.

Things were a little sketchy with the front sitting on jack stands.

Btw, anyone in the Houston area able to weld aluminum? I need to weld mounts onto the radiator and weld the outlet back on.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I just put this electric fan on my yj, it's a bad dude and reasonably priced considering it moves 2800 cfm and comes with a built in shroud and thermostat.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/67...oductId=752006

Also, I have a spool gun for aluminum if you want to try, the tabs should not be an issue, your radiator outlet might be over my skill.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I may take you up on the aluminum welding.

I think i'm going to check the pick a part to try and find a Volvo fan for cheap.

I got a little done last night.

Rear shock mounts.

The lower mount is just a stud welded to the tube (like I had before) but I'm not really crazy about it... It might get redone later.

Not much to update. Tacked the driver side shock mount together.

I got a smoking deal on some new (used) tools from someone in my neighborhood.

I've wanted a portaband for a while. I used it last night to cut out the brackets for the passenger side upper shock mounts.

These are sweet. I know Cook has one and likes it....

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Port...ries_c_35.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!