Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ 5 Build

lowballing someone
    i prefer to cut down full sized axles and then bolt them into cj's without outbording. ive done it several times for different people and am about to do it to a 60.... to each his own
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

I've been thinking about how im going to fit my exhaust under the rig and because of how tight everything is (and lack of money) I plan on doing it myself. So my question is, what is the general consensus on useing the flexible exhaust pipe?
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ci_sku=5600031

Will it hold up? Is it complete crap? Will it work for a relatively tight bend?

Edit* just to clarify, I want to use the flex pipe at the down pipe where the exhaust bends and heads to the rear of the jeep.
    Last edited by tommy53002; 10-22-2010 at 09:10 PM.

the only thing i would "exhaust" with that is my dryer
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

you could get it done right by someone else for around $100 so just work a couple hours overtime and dont be gay
    Jonathan Tate
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU

i dont have any experience with the flexible exhaust pipe but i do know that big rigs use it so there must be some out there that is worth a dam

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    you could get it done right by someone else for around $100 so just work a couple hours overtime and dont be gay
    There is almost no room for my exhaust, I imagine it would cost alot more than $100 for someone to do it, if I could find someone willing to do it at all.... Im no exhaust expert but im pretty sure the skid will have to be removed and reinstalled multiple times to make all the bends necessary for it to all fit.

Sooo.. back to my question. Is the flex pipe worth a damn? If it is, it will make the hardest part of the whole thing be pretty easy.

it might work but seems ghetto to me... and that is coming from a guy that re-used old frame
    Jonathan Tate
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Don't use it unless you plan to keep it for a short time. It is ok in a street application, but on a rig that will see a good bit of flex it will wear out pretty quick. Especially if you are using it coming right off the engine where it will see the most movement. I am sure that Rusty can get your hard bends put in for the C-note and you could finish out the rest. Building it all yourself wouldn't be a bad 'learning experience though. May have to do that on mine once it's all said and done to really tuck it up like it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

True Hollywood Stry
    There is a guy in Bryan off south college close to the bend, that did an awesome job on my bronco tucking it up tight. I supplied the muffler and I think it was around $250 and worth every penny. I think some people will disagree with me, but from the two times I tried to use him he sucked. Rusty can go blow his trombone that guy is a douche.
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 10-23-2010 at 01:43 AM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    There is a guy in Bryan off south college close to the bend, that did an awesome job on my bronco tucking it up tight. I supplied the muffler and I think it was around $250 and worth every penny. I think some people will disagree with me, but from the two times I tried to use him he sucked. Rusty can go blow his trombone that guy is a douche.
    Rusty did Pigpen's exhaust. Pigpen is awsome. You're a faggot. The end.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I think the key to having Rusty doing a good job is to not get it done on Saturday right before he is closing (and right before you need to be taking off on a ~4000 mile round trip )
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

My rusty experience has also been so-so. He does do decent work, just not high on my cestomer service scale.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    Don't use it unless you plan to keep it for a short time. It is ok in a street application, but on a rig that will see a good bit of flex it will wear out pretty quick. Especially if you are using it coming right off the engine where it will see the most movement.
    Thanks Ed that is exactly what I wanted to know. I guess that means i'll be spending some time doing exhaust work. I will not take my stuff to Rusty's even if he can do a good job. That guy is an a$$. Besides judging by my last experience with him, he wont do my exhaust without putting a $200 catalytic converter on it....

i have used mcalister and sons on texas, they do good work, they did give me some grief about not putting on a cat so they just ran the pipe to that point and then i put my muffler on it

Quote Originally Posted by bcolman View Post
    i have used mcalister and sons on texas, they do good work, they did give me some grief about not putting on a cat so they just ran the pipe to that point and then i put my muffler on it
    They closed. If I was going to use anyone it would be Bryan muffler on s. college.