Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ 5 Build

update:

I finally got around to working on the jeep again.
    some brackets for bracing.

bout time......

I got some more work done this week.

Body mounts.

Shock mounts.

Transmission Mount.

Capped off the end of the frame and added some clevis mounts.

Made new square drive shafts.

For the rear I just retubed the old shaft using 2" x 3/16"wall square tubing.

Bracing for frame side lowers.

I started on the exhaust and fuel lines. Plus redid some wiring. Next week i'll finish the fuel lines, exhaust and brakes. After that, it should be mobile again.

So, how important is a proportioning valve on a off road rig? I am running all new brake lines and if its not important I will leave it out...

Also, i'm using my stock tank in the back of the jeep. I cut all of the fuel lines off when I started the 4 link now i'm trying to put it all back together. The tank has 4 ports (plus the filler tube). One port is the line going to the fuel filter then onto the carb. At the fuel filter there is one input line and two outputs. One of the outputs is the one going to the carb. I believe the other is a return line to the tank. What is the point of that line returning to the tank? I dont know what the other two ports on the tank are for. I believe one is a vent that went to the evap canister but, I don't really remember. It has been over 8 months since I cut all this stuff out and now I dont really remember what went where.

I am a fan of simplifing things so, would there be adverse effects to capping off everything but the supply line and a vent line?
    Last edited by tommy53002; 04-21-2011 at 07:41 PM.

I don't run a proportioning valve. All it does is reduce pressure to rear brakes. If anything I still don't have as much rear brakes as front. Makes no difference in 4wd though.

The other two lines were for the evap ****. I plugged them and now have no vent, would recommend having a vent. I think they ran a return to keep the fuel moving so as to prevent it from getting hot and vapor lock. Also convenient when converting to fuel injection.

Looks good man.

Quote Originally Posted by eight View Post
    I don't run a proportioning valve. All it does is reduce pressure to rear brakes. If anything I still don't have as much rear brakes as front. Makes no difference in 4wd though.

The other two lines were for the evap ****. I plugged them and now have no vent, would recommend having a vent. I think they ran a return to keep the fuel moving so as to prevent it from getting hot and vapor lock. Also convenient when converting to fuel injection.
    Good to know. I'm ditching the proportioning valve.

Thanks, I guess i'll run the supply line and a return line and plug the other too off.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    Looks good man.
    Thanks, i'm getting tired of working on it. I'm ready to do some wheeling. This week I should be able move it under its own power for the first time in 9 months. Why the hell do my builds always take ten times longer than I want them to.

Jeep is looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy53002 View Post
    So, how important is a proportioning valve on a off road rig? I am running all new brake lines and if its not important I will leave it out...
    I would add one. They can make a HUGE difference. Plus you have drums now. When you go to add discs later, I would think you'd really want one then.

You can also add either electronic or manual line locks which are great makeshift e-brakes.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

You need a vent line. I don't have one and it'll die after a while. Only been like this since I cut the back off. Not sure why the gas cap let's fuel out but won't let air in.

I have a willwood prop. valve and found it was pretty important when tuning the braking power from front to rear when going to 4wheeldisks. I run the front with no prop. valve though, only have the willwood on the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Got some more work done.

Brake lines

I made short steel lines to adapt the plastic lines to the drums.

Rear Center limit strap

I still have lots of little things to finish up but it was great to finally drive it again. The new crawl ratio is awesome. it flexes great but im going to have to try changing up the front leave springs to get more even articulation. As it sits now the rear is doing all the work.

looks good

Why so unhappy?
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 05-17-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Nice. Now you need some bigger tires