Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Softcore Jeep build

Softcore Jeep build

Just to clarify, I do not have intentions of turning this into juggy/crawler. From the get go I have wanted a capable rig that I could potentially drive everyday. I want something I can drive to the Rubicon and back with out a hitch. While keeping decent mileage and comfort.

If your counting, that makes 4 not running POS.

Honestly I don't have the time/money to do a motor swap. I have no idea where I am going with this. Best solution right now would for me to find a junkyard 2.5L. Other than that, my Dad is considering letting me use his old 2000 Expedition to DD for the time being while he considers buying himself a new DD. At the moment I have 600 bones in the Jeep account I was saving to buy Juniors HP30 at the end of the month.

Scenario 1:
    Find junk yard replacement 2.5L. and back to business as usual:
    • HP30 Front with 4.56s and an Aussie
    • High steer
    • Stock 4-link with Currie S/As
    • D44 rear with 4.56 and an ARB
    • Currie lowers, RK triangulated 4-link uppers.
    • Cage
    • Stay on 33"s for a while

Scenario 2:
    Now if by the grace of god I come into some money, or I keep the Expedition as a DD I would like to see L33/LH6 swap, SM465 if I went stick or 4L60-E if I stay auto.

231-300 doubler, 60/60. 3 link front, 4 link rear with 5" of stretch. Keep a functional tub/top for cross-country drives, and run 35"s.

We will see where it goes.
    Last edited by breckboarder55; 09-14-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

doh!
    BDR

what the sh1t!? Is that a piece of a rod or part of your crank?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Driving back to CS on 105 at about 12:30 A.M.

Had developed what I believe to be lifter tick about 30 miles prior. From what I could see everything was ok. What was I going to do in the middle of the night 30 miles from anywhere? Oil-was fine, etc.

Car stumbled immediately followed by a gunshot/explosion noise. It died, I popped into neutral and before I could slow down to 30mph everything went dark and smoke billowed out.

My Jeep was on fire, I got out the fire extinguisher which didn't work... While I was watching my Jeep burn, at least 12 cars drove by before one stopped...

I found pieces of rod, block and piston in the road.

The fire must have only been the oil burning off my skid plate, because all though it burned for at least 2 minutes I couldn't see any melted parts. I have not had the opportunity to look at it in the day light yet though.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

city motor supply

I think your avatar had something to do with this...

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02 View Post
    4 years and 70k miles ago? The motor didn't take on any water.

I think it has something to do with stock gears and being underpowered, so I was winding the motor up at every hill and trying to keep up with traffic.

City Engine Supply said $860 for rebuilt short block with a 12 month 12k miles warranty. They are in Dallas.

The Jeep is in The Woodlands in my parents driveway. My Dad had a place quote him $1100 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. They were in Houston. He also received a quote for 4 grand with a 36k mile warranty...

Since my Dad is loaning the money and a car he really gets the say on where the money goes. He is leaning towards the $1100 rebuild. We agreed that the 4.56 gears would help take strain off the break in process and so I am going to try and pay for the D44 to be built while he loans me the money for the engine.

What are some reputable places for R/P work for a DD? Preferably a place that will warranty their work. I lost that card for the one in Houston Blankenship gave me.
    Last edited by breckboarder55; 09-13-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
    I think it has something to do with stock gears and being underpowered, so I was winding the motor up at every hill and trying to keep up with traffic.
    Ummm... maybe your transmission but not your engine.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    Ummm... maybe your transmission but not your engine.
    Transmission was rebuilt 50k miles ago. I duno, I think I was pretty hard on the motor on the highway.

I found that Mopar offers a "staged" performance parts in the way of Cam, etc.

2.5L Jeep Inline 4 Engine

Stage I Engine Package A

* Set timing for Maximum HP
    * HP Hydraulic Cam 240" or 248" P4529656-657
    * Valve Seal Package P4529661
    * Valve Spring - Conical P4529217
    * Conical Retainer- P4529217
    * Low Restriction Enhaust
    * Estimated 10 to 20 hp gain over stock

Probably a waste of money, but Summit has a cam listed at $140... Can't find anyone that has done cam swaps on these things. Thoughts? Can't even find the stock duration to compare it to?

*Apparently the ECU does not like dealing with to different a duration, but "drop in cams" are available that claim 10-20hp.*
    Last edited by breckboarder55; 09-13-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

wait, what? You're gonna put another 4 popper in it? And not just a junkyard one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

J&P Standard Transmission on 21 did the rear axle in my screwcab and it's held up for about 50k miles.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    wait, what? You're gonna put another 4 popper in it? And not just a junkyard one?
    "Since my Dad is loaning the money and a car he really gets the say on where the money goes. He is leaning towards the $1100 rebuild. We agreed that the 4.56 gears would help take strain off the break in process and so I am going to try and pay for the D44 to be built while he loans me the money for the engine."

I don't think I will even bother with a cam, can't find any information on it. Mopar discontinued their cam, but Melling and Clifford still make them.

*TJ ECUs react better than the YJ ECUs*
    Last edited by breckboarder55; 09-13-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Put a 4.0 in it.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

5.0L like blankenship
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat