Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Cruiser Build

do most aftermarket sliders mount to the frame? those flares look like they stick out pretty far and to make it look right that might be more than the door sill is up to holding.

pinon creek
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    do most aftermarket sliders mount to the frame? those flares look like they stick out pretty far and to make it look right that might be more than the door sill is up to holding.
    The stock plastic running boards are attached to the door sill/body and yes, all aftermarket sliders attach to the frame. Everything black in the picture comes off when the running boards are removed. Here's an example of what sliders look like on these rigs... first one I came across.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Tires probably net the biggest increase in off-road performance.
    I'd have to disagree, lockers can get you places (and out) with smaller tires.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I'd have to disagree, lockers can get you places (and out) with smaller tires.
    I did not necessarily mean bigger tires, but also something with stronger side-walls and more cut/puncture resistant. Granted front and rear lockers will definitely be a bigger improvement over swapping in same size all terrains.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Registered
    So I've got a little bit of cash right now and was wanting to move forward with building some under-body protection.

Check out this thread for various designs: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...s-sliders.html

And I think these are the best candidates. Solid design, relatively easy to build, and cheap. Also a great write-up on how they were made. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...d-w-picks.html

What do you guys think? Does anyone have a cutter/tube-bender/welder and would be willing to help me with this? Keep in mind that manufactured or custom fabbed sliders run $800-1000 while the materials to make my own would be about $300 (thats a lot of beer...). The other thing I need is a good skid plate but that should be easier to make and cheaper than the sliders.

Once I get these two things out of the way I'll be figuring out the lift/tires (and maybe rear bumper). I think a reasonable goal is to have this thing rock-ready by TCC. Thoughts?
    Last edited by 96beast; 11-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Do you have any metal fabrication experience?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

your time table sounds doable, if you can find someone who has the tools in town to help you out

Registered
    I have plenty of experience with wood and even glass but never worked with metal. I guess one of the things I'd like some of the more experienced members to answer is whether or not I should even attempt something like this with zero experience or if I should just save and go with a proven bolt on option. I'd definitely be willing to learn if anybody was willing to help. For the sliders the hardest part will definitely be measuring and making sure they mate up right, especially around the cats.

lowballing someone
    do it your self. the only way to learn is to do it yourself. i'm shure if you provide enough lubrication (ky or beer depending on which resident). the dexter people will be able to find some time to help you.... I always enjoy offering other peoples time.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    do it your self. the only way to learn is to do it yourself. i'm shure if you provide enough lubrication (ky or beer depending on which resident). the dexter people will be able to find some time to help you.... I always enjoy offering other peoples time.
    You can leave out the ky, tommy isn't technically a resident.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    for the 500 bones difference, find you a good 110 stick welder on CL, a HF angle grinder w/ some (dewalt) cut off and grinding wheels and pay someone to cut out the plate for you. Not only will you get experience, you will have some tools to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

build it yourself. shouldnt take but a weekend
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    for the 500 bones difference, find you a good 110 stick welder on CL, a HF angle grinder w/ some (dewalt) cut off and grinding wheels and pay someone to cut out the plate for you. Not only will you get experience, you will have some tools to boot.
    Don't forget that the average student does not have a garage, a place to keep tools, or an extra $500 to throw around.

But I get your point, and if I had a place to keep/hook up a welder I would purchase one.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
    Don't forget that the average student does not have a garage, a place to keep tools, or an extra $500 to throw around.

But I get your point, and if I had a place to keep/hook up a welder I would purchase one.
    This is what I was just going to say. I really like the idea of investing in that equipment but I don't have a garage or work place or even room at my place to store that kind of stuff. I'm also a senior and will be relocating after I graduate this May so I'd like to keep the amount of stuff I move to a minimum before I settle in somewhere else.