Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worn timing belt

Worn timing belt

So loooooong story short, my jeep died suddenly in the garage and refused to crank up ever again. Turns over but no sparks. Engine light is on and the code is P0340. I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and went thru all of the wiring to the PCM with a multimeter and WD-40. Still nothing. I got fed up and got it towed to the stealership nearby to have them do their magic. They called back and said it's my timing belt that's worn all to hell and if I pay them a small fortune of $580 they will fix it for me.

My question is how hard is it to replace a timing belt along with the tensioner? I'm also worried about having a belt valve... I really dont feel like spending all of my xmas vacation money on this damn thing when ive already spent so much trying to figure it out myself.
    Last edited by crdub09; 11-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.

2.5Ls don't have a timing belt...
    So you should probably take a deep breathe and go back over everything again...

"With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

* Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
    * Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
    * Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
    * Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
    * Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
    * Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
    * Diagnose/replace the PCM as required"
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

True Hollywood Stry
    580 sounds cheap(for a dealership) for a timing chain, I would let them fix it.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
    So you should probably take a deep breathe and go back over everything again...

"With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

* Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
    * Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
    * Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
    * Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
    * Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
    * Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
    * Diagnose/replace the PCM as required"

I was wrong in saying I have the 2.5L - they did make that change to 2.4L in 2003.

Turns out the timing belt will cause the P0340 code as well... fml

Pretty much the only other thing it could be on that list is the PCM, and thats way out of my league haha

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    580 sounds cheap(for a dealership) for a timing chain, I would let them fix it.
    Yea.. It's getting to the point where i'm running out of groceries and missing things for school. I need a driver now, so I think ill haggle the price down $100 and have them do it tomorrow.
    Last edited by crdub09; 11-11-2010 at 07:30 PM.

03 4 cylinders do. its a different engine.

How much are the parts?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    How much are the parts?
    under $99 for the belt and like 25-50 for the tensioner

Corey's actually trying to pull some strings at lithia right now so hopefully something can be worked out. This isnt a $600 belt were talking about... ****

Sending a pm
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    If you can follow instructions and have a good manual (I said good, take the Haynes or Chilton piece of **** and put it back under your beer, it is only good for a cup holder), then it is not that hard. You do have to take all the acc. off the front of the engine (a/c comp (pull it to the side), power steering, alternator, etc...) The only other difficult thing is to keep everything lined up, which again is not super difficult, if you do get it off, a good manual will tell you how to line it up.

A small block ford 1988 to 1996 I can replace the timing chain in 4 hours, Now a 1990 Honda Accord takes me about 8. If the stealership only wants $580, it can not be that hard.

While you are at it consider replacing the water pump. On a ford the water pump is $26, If a jeep is similar I would bolt a new one on.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    A small block ford 1988 to 1996 I can replace the timing chain in 4 hours.
    4hrs? what a chump
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    03 4 cylinders do. its a different engine.
    When I asked him if it was a 2.4L a while back he said it was a 2.5L.
    So a little confusion on both of our ends.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    If you can follow instructions and have a good manual (I said good, take the Haynes or Chilton piece of **** and put it back under your beer, it is only good for a cup holder), then it is not that hard. You do have to take all the acc. off the front of the engine (a/c comp (pull it to the side), power steering, alternator, etc...) The only other difficult thing is to keep everything lined up, which again is not super difficult, if you do get it off, a good manual will tell you how to line it up.

A small block ford 1988 to 1996 I can replace the timing chain in 4 hours, Now a 1990 Honda Accord takes me about 8. If the stealership only wants $580, it can not be that hard.

While you are at it consider replacing the water pump. On a ford the water pump is $26, If a jeep is similar I would bolt a new one on.
    Yea i've been reading thru the factory service manual, same one the dealership techs will follow, and it's quite of bit of pita work. I think I could do it myself but I just dont have the time or ability to take a chance when this is my only car/heep. It's priced out at about 2-3 hours of work for the stealership to get it done, I think their rate is $120 an hour. I'll ask them about a water pump as well, Thanks bud.

When I asked him if it was a 2.4L a while back he said it was a 2.5L.

So a little confusion on both of our ends.
    I'm sorry about that man, I had read it wrong on a forum that they made that switch in 2006-2007 only. Only after looking under my hood did I realize.
    Last edited by crdub09; 11-12-2010 at 05:15 AM.

I haggled with the tech to get it from $586 to $510 including tax. Should be done by Monday afternoon, just in time for me to completely miss gilmer. Thanks for everyones help and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by crdub09 View Post
    just in time for me to completely miss gilmer. Thanks for everyones help and advice!
    I dont think you missed much
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"