Thread: Hanging heavy **** on a wall

Threaded View

Hanging heavy **** on a wall

Since this can kind of apply to all the kids hanging truck parts on the wall I'm putting this here. My mom killed a cape buffalo a couple of years ago and the shoulder mount is finally done. This thing is large. It is designed to mount in a corner and weighs ~200 lbs. The house has normal ~9' ceilings with steel studs on 8" centers. Yes 8," it is a mother****ing hurricane-proof fortress. The mounting holes on the back of the mount are 11 1/4" from the corner on both sides. On the left side of the wall corner, the mounting hole is perfectly centered on a stud. Sweet. My plan is to take a ~1' long strip of 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel and weld a bolt head or some other retaining knob to one side, then use 4 or 5 stinger screws to fasten it vertically parallel to the stud. i.e. distribute the rediculously heavy load over several screws and a decent sized area to minimize drywall damage. On the right corner however, the mounting hole is located halfway between two studs. My plan is to make an "H" out of the same 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel as before, with each verticle portion of the H paralleling a stud. The mounting head will be located on the horizontal portion between the studs.

I know most of the home improvement types have left TAMOR but if yall see any problems with my plan, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"