Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Someone help me make sense of what happened here...

Chief

Someone help me make sense of what happened here...

About a month ago, I was taking the truck for a drive when the rear driveshaft just fell out. I took a left turn out of a parking lot and when I hit the gas, there was a big clunk, and sure enough the rear driveshaft was laying in the street. Fortunately, front wheel drive got me home, but I am stumped as to WHY the driveshaft decided to give way.

So I crawled up under the truck and looked at the transfer case. It seems to be leaking fluid pretty badly from the rear output yoke, and the driveshaft itself was covered in what seemed like gear fluid. FWIW, there was fluid thrown all over the rear axle of the truck as well. (probably transfer case fluid that ran down the length of the driveshaft?)

The CV centering yoke in the driveshaft was slightly bent and had snapped the bolts that hold the centering yoke to the transfer case yoke. Before I actually go about replacing parts, I'd like to get a little "professional diagnosis." The driveshaft is practically brand new (bought it from JBG in July) so I doubt anything with the driveshaft is the culprit.

Keeping in mind, I did just lift the truck a few inches higher, I want to make sure this didn't come about from a bad lift job.

Any input is greatly appreciated
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

True Hollywood Stry
    Did you shim the axle to put your pinion angle back to factory? The shims go under the leaf springs in the rear.

Possibly a bad u-joint. Did you grease the u-joints when you installed the driveshaft?

The gear oil didn't cause the problem.
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 12-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    How much did you lift your truck? I think a stock drive shaft is good to atleast 6"

Check on the edges of the yokes, are there little tabs there that hold the shaft and u-joints in? These are cast tabs in the yoke.

It just spit out the d-shaft? It did not break a U-joint or anything?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

True Hollywood Stry
    I agree with Karl you might have the wrong ujoint size in there. 78-79 fords used both 1310 and 1330 u joints.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

If only there was a small device about the size of a pack of cigarettes that would capture what we human's see digitally. Then you could transmit this digital image via the interweb.....
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    If only there was a small device about the size of a pack of cigarettes that would capture what we human's see digitally. Then you could transmit this digital image via the interweb.....
    He's a witch. Burn him!
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Chief
    How much did you lift your truck? I think a stock drive shaft is good to atleast 6"

Check on the edges of the yokes, are there little tabs there that hold the shaft and u-joints in? These are cast tabs in the yoke.

It just spit out the d-shaft? It did not break a U-joint or anything?
    The driveshaft looked fine after the lift, it needed an inch of extension at most, but I didn't see it as being a problem. The tabs are still on the yokes of the 205 and the 9 inch, so that wasn't the problem. I'm sure I had the right u-joint size as well, and no u-joints were broken.

The truck did a 3 hour trip down 45 at 65-75 mph and drove just fine. It wasn't until I drove it a few days later that I had this problem.
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Did you shim the axle to put your pinion angle back to factory? The shims go under the leaf springs in the rear.

Possibly a bad u-joint. Did you grease the u-joints when you installed the driveshaft?

The gear oil didn't cause the problem.
    Yes, the ujoints were greased, and yes the shims were put under the leafs on the axle.

I was hoping this thread would be about Tron 2

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
    Yes, the ujoints were greased, and yes the shims were put under the leafs on the axle.
    Must have been magic then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
    Did you have lock washers under your nuts on the straps? Could be they loosened and it fell out.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    I was hoping this thread would be about Tron 2
    Yeah, WTF is that about?

Also, I do not think we have discussed Mexican Food in Crosby. My wife insists on Iguana Joe's, but I think their salsa and margaritas sucks. Pepe's across the street is an adventure. For my money in Crosby, there is no better Mexican food than Hector's in the Kroger shopping center. Be carefull Frick and I think one of the waiters there stabs people for fun.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Yeah, WTF is that about?

Also, I do not think we have discussed Mexican Food in Crosby. My wife insists on Iguana Joe's, but I think their salsa and margaritas sucks. Pepe's across the street is an adventure. For my money in Crosby, there is no better Mexican food than Hector's in the Kroger shopping center. Be carefull Frick and I think one of the waiters there stabs people for fun.
    +1 for Hectors

HP- The drive shaft just fell out in its entirety and there was little to no damage? did you bolt it in?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Yeah, WTF is that about?

I spent the first half of the movie trying to figure out if it followed Matrix rules or Inception rules, then Billy Idol started shooting people with his cane.

The bolts on mine have backed out a couple times, you need to put a tube of red loctite on each bolt and a lock washer for them to stay in