Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dodge build-up

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    I am interested in moving the batteries into the tool box but have a couple question. The main reason for this is so I can get to the front shocks easier and possibly free up so room for a different intake.

Thinking I could build a shelf in my tool box for the batteries but

Do batteries need to stay ventilated?

What would be the proper wire size or what the best way to calculate wire size?
    The battery on the jetta is completely buried under some plastic box assy ****. So I'm gonna say no, they don't need to be ventilated, but I could be wrong.

As far as best wire gauge... Get whatever you can afford. 1/0 is probably your best bet, but **** ain't cheap
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

I used 2/0 welding lead for my battery cables on Pigpen. It is really fine strand so it bends easily and the insulation is plenty durable for vehicle use. If I remember right its a little cheaper than actual battery cable too.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    ^this. Run the biggest wire you can get and dont skimp on quality as there is a lot of chinese crap out there right now. Welding cable is a perfect choice imo.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

I know get the biggest wire I can and don't skimp on quality especially since it could easily burn down the truck so on this I don't mind dropping some coin. I was wonder if there is a (general) way to calculate load over distance. I remember something of this sort when I was running power to my shop years ago but have since forgot and am too busy to dig through all my old stuff now.

For instance I know the batteries have 1000 cca and wire will span a distance of x what cable would be adequate and then run something bigger.

Most 2/0 welding leads have a 250 amp max rating, so how does that handle long starts or winching?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

8.1 doesn't have long starts and it handles the front 8274's load just fine. I think I calculated it before buying and it was adequate. The leads are ~12 ft or so.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

FWIW the battery box (as NHRA rules required for in cab mounts, IIRC) I used when I relocated the battery in my RX-7 was drilled with a vent hose. Also, the box I helped put in my friends car also came with a vent.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
    FWIW the battery box (as NHRA rules required for in cab mounts, IIRC) I used when I relocated the battery in my RX-7 was drilled with a vent hose. Also, the box I helped put in my friends car also came with a vent.
    Link to box?
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Well I traded my nas-truck for a plush riding trail-truck now. Got my steering brace on and lost the sway bar and I'm working on quick disconnects. Front should be good until hydro assist, but that will be down the road.

Turns out the .5 inch front stretch and 1 inch rear stretch fits the tires near perfect but a little more trimming will be necessarily on the front inner fenders. The limiting factor now is rear droop so a shackle re-work will be sooner than later.

Born to Kill

It's looking real good Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    It's looking real good Travis.
    Thanks I'm pretty happy with it and hopefully I'll be able to do some more no sway-bar testing this weekend.
    Born to Kill

Air or gtfo.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

It's been a while since I purchased it, but I think it might have been this box: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-48100/?rtype=10

Truck is looking great!
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Went ahead and ordered the ARB deflator and a air compressor

I ordered this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...7641460&sr=8-1

opposed to this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-MV5...7641460&sr=8-2

Think there is any difference?
    I've had the compressor you ordered for a few years, it's a little slow but it does the job.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Met up with John today at down south off-road park, it was a quick trip and doesn't even warrant a write up. drove down to the beach, one small lame trail and a dry-ish pit. Definitively suggest the club making a trip out there though. I got some footage with a go-pro but it didn't turn out that great, I'll get it up later and the inner fenders need a lot more trimming.

Born to Kill

ill be your pickup man
    spare tire carrier, lose it

I think the rear end of my Fourtrax is about to blow up.

It was fun. Would be a great place for a day trip. The place was pretty clean and the beach was sweet. Lots of sandy stuff. Would be more fun if it was a little muddier.

It is maybe 1hr 45min from CS. Easy drive on a Sat/Sun morning.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4