Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dodge build-up

went ahead and ordered the fans, hope they work...
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

ill be your pickup man
    So

Pros:

Water crossings
    Slightly more power

Cons:

Might not cool my engine as well
    Might not be reliable.

Good call.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    So

Pros:

Water crossings
    Colder A/C

Cons:

Might not cool my engine as well
    Might not be reliable.

Good call.

Fixed,

I'm thinking these may actually help cooling, the only times I ever see trouble cooling is low-speeds in the sand.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I really don't see why you're trying to reinvent the wheel. The additional parasitic drain from the alternator will negate any power gain from getting rid of the mechanical fan.

1. The mech fan was designed to work for your motor. The only time it has let you down is because it got tangled in a wire.
    2. The money you'll end up spending because of relays and thermostatic controllers for your fan will make the fans just as expensive.
    3. How often do you make water crossings deep enough to hit the fan?
    4. Will the electric fans cover the whole radiator or are you going to have to make a massive shroud that will take up as much space as the mech fan?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but stop trying to reinvent the wheel. What's wrong with the mech fan? Maybe there's a reason you can't find anyone who has put electric fans on that truck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

So, anyone oil sampled to see how the aftermarket filters vs stock?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    I really don't see why you're trying to reinvent the wheel. The additional parasitic drain from the alternator will negate any power gain from getting rid of the mechanical fan.

1. The mech fan was designed to work for your motor. The only time it has let you down is because it got tangled in a wire.
    2. The money you'll end up spending because of relays and thermostatic controllers for your fan will make the fans just as expensive.
    3. How often do you make water crossings deep enough to hit the fan?
    4. Will the electric fans cover the whole radiator or are you going to have to make a massive shroud that will take up as much space as the mech fan?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but stop trying to reinvent the wheel. What's wrong with the mech fan? Maybe there's a reason you can't find anyone who has put electric fans on that truck?
    Since you're not trying to be a dick I'll try to explain it so even you can understand, !

The additional drag from the alternator will be less then the horsepower lost from the fan, it's an efficiency thing. However, the power gains will be minimal at best, largely do to the stock fan hardly being utilized. I have never said I'm doing this for power or fuel economy.

1. The mechanical fan has not preformed up to my expectations. I've had to stop and let the truck cool numerous times, hopefully the E-fans will speed up cool downs and prevent low-speed, low RPM over heating.
    2. The money I'll drop in the fans will be twice what I could fix the truck for, but most parts I add to the truck are not cheap.
    3. I really can't believe you would ask this question. How often do you wheel? Why do you need a diesel? all bogus questions. This isn't the first time I've trashed a filter in water and obviously I'm trying to improve the truck's water crossing abilities.
    4. From what I can tell, I like the design of the flex-a-lite shroud better than the stock one.

From what I've found on the interwebs is just people that have no experience with the e-fans saying they are junk and everybody with them say the work great. Obviously they are not a popular mod because most people want more power and there are a plethora of better power-adding options.
    Born to Kill

Tommy, do you not have an electric fan on your bronco? You sound like JB arguing about diesels.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

ill be your pickup man
    You mean he was making several valid points?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    You saying your motor not cooling when towing or when in sand? My little gay gasser would get to 200-210 towing in July heat, but never in sand. Trans tempt would get high in sand though.

Cool story I know

I think you should try it, but I think it is alot of work for not much gain
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Low speed- Low RPM you just need to down shift and raise the RPM's it will solve your cooling issues and lower EGTs
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Are electric fans really any better for water crossing? I've never had problems with a mechanical fan while crossing water, and I'm pretty sure I've swamped my **** more than anyone else on this forum. The metal fan on the CJ only hit the radiator when the motor mounts broke, never under water.

electric fans don't last near as long as a fan clutch. I've replaced the rover condensor fans multiple times, even with flex a lites once. flex a lites didn't last more than a few years. OEM stuff lasted at least a decade, but still crapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    Are electric fans really any better for water crossing? I've never had problems with a mechanical fan while crossing water, and I'm pretty sure I've swamped my **** more than anyone else on this forum. The metal fan on the CJ only hit the radiator when the motor mounts broke, never under water.

electric fans don't last near as long as a fan clutch. I've replaced the rover condensor fans multiple times, even with flex a lites once. flex a lites didn't last more than a few years. OEM stuff lasted at least a decade, but still crapped out.

The mechanical fan on my cj bent when i went through deep water and went into the radiator. Congrats on your expert level number of water crossings bra!!!!! Great accomplishment!

I looked into electric fans for my 6.4 for awhile and kept getting turned away. The mechanical fan is always working, always pushing a constant stream of air across all coolers. The E- fan, will kick on and off at a certain temp but often with a truck that is towing, it hits these temps while pulling a steep grade, once the fan kicks on the temps are continuing to skyrocket and the fan can not keep up. Meanwhile the stock fan would have been working to lower these temps from the start, getting a "head start" on cooling compared to an electric setup.

Hope that made some sense.

Thanks Even, I guess I'll just try them out any how though.

Generally speaking dropping a gear does cool the truck well, but having to shutdown to go to low range sucks.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    The mechanical fan on my cj bent when i went through deep water and went into the radiator.
    probably aftermarket fan or lack of lower grill ridgidity from no fenders.

FWIW - I don't believe the parasitic drag from powering E-fans is anywhere near the drag from a mech fan.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller