Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic winch rope

Corey, you are going to spend several hundred dollars to put synthetic line on a ****ing 6k winch that you got from a junkyard? and then you are going to put said winch on your jeep? good god man save the money and buy burris's 60. it wont catastrophically fail the first time you use it. just buy some damn cable and use that
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Registered
    Sam how do you get several hundred out of 150? And for 150 I have a winch that works well? Sounds like a decent investment to me. Maybe you should focus on getting your own ride going more than mine.

Registered
    So I have another problem.... when I was tightening the winch on the jeep one of the back bolt holes decided to break.... Does anyone know were I can this part of the case for a reasonable price? I really don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on this thing.......

You can buy replacement parts from warn, but you're going to end up spending more money fixing it than you bought it for.

Do you know if it even works?

Even if it does work, you'll end up spending $200-300 fixing a winch that is too small for your jeep. Just sell it on craigslist for $50 and buy a smittybilt 8k for $300. That will be big enough for your jeep and has a warranty on it.

Registered
    Yes it does work, Ive already had the motor apart, and checked it out. When I wired it up it ran great, I also have a Warn 9k but it needs a new motor. Id much rather have a warn than a smitty built. I found the part through poly performance for 88bucks.

I think the motor for the warn 9K will be less than $100. Just don't buy it through warn. Have you tried having the 9K motor rebuilt?

http://www.amazon.com/Winch-Motor-WA...=pd_sbs_auto_1

There, that's cheaper than repairing your 6K, and you get to have a bad dude winch, not a little dude.
    Last edited by eight; 04-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Do a little researching and you may find a larger motor that will fit. I replaced the 2.? hp motor on my old ramsey 12K with a 5hp.

Registered
    there is something wrong with the brake on it also, I just havn't had time to pull it off and look at it. I figured the 6k should work fine on the jeep for now. I do plan on fixing the 9k in the future it just needs a lot of cleaning and tlc.

Registered
    I have thought about doing the larger motor on the 6k, the 6k is a lot lighter (I know partly because of a smaller motor). But If I could get it to have the power of the 9k it would be awesome. Has anyone tried to use parts from a cheaper winch that looks similar to a warn to fix their warn? i.e. drum support of either end? my other option is try to figure a way to mount it were the back bolts won't have as much stress on them and just leave that one out or as it is.

I normally try not to bash ideas, but why are you spending money and time to fix the 6,000 when could put the same effort into the 9,000 if it's going to be for the jeep?
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 04-09-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

The reason Evans broke is probably because the rear right bolt came out. That puts a lot more stress on the body.

Registered
    I was thinking out evens winch, Which kinda scared me. The 6k should work "ok" on the jeep, and more importantly the 9k needs a lot of parts and is almost not worth fixing unless I can find some random parts cheap.... I have an Idea I think may work.... I shall find out in a few hours, should be a pretty easy fix.

one of my 12k winches was locked up all i had to do was take it apart and lube it up, it only took about 2 or 3 hours while having a few beverages also and now it works great, i bet all you need for the 9k is a new motor

Registered
    I pulled the 9k apart, and sprayed PB blaster all over it, its pretty bad. The brake on it doesn't work either... I put the 6k on the jeep and just used the cable from the 9k so I can see how well it will work. After putting the cable on it and dragging things around the yard I'm pretty happy with it.

Warn 9000i solenoids for CHEAP. Not sure if you need them or not for the repair.
    http://lsjc.org/board/showthread.php?t=51879
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!