Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The YJ

Registered

The YJ

So I guess I can start a build thread for the YJ. As most of you know it has
    -SBC TBI fuel injection
    -XJ reasprings, with a extra XJ main
    -bastardized front sprigs
    -Sm465/Dana 300
    -14 bolt 4.88s welded/ dana 44 (yes I know it sucks but their cheap) 4.88s open
    -semi worn out 42s on H1's
    etc. yes Its just another YJ running basic chevy crap, but hey it works and I can afford it

Anyways so I have been redoing the suspension, I lowered the rear about 1.75" and moved the front axle forward roughly 3-4", dropped the front roughly 3". In the process of all this I also did a shackle reversal. Which leads me to my question. What is a good frame to ground height for a yj running 42's or 40's? Eventually I want to have 60 front and have decent tires, But I have to wait for the money to get right. The wheel base is roughly 109" If I remember right. I also plan on taking a 1" or 2" from the body lift off, I want to retain at least 1" to clear the motor and all. I have the motor stuffed pretty close to the body, So I would have to do some major body hackin' if I took all 3" off and the tires would barley clear. So what are yalls thoughts?

lowballing someone
    put a cj grill on it.... real jeeps have round headlights
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    put a cj grill on it.... real jeeps have round headlights
    This is a valid point...

Registered
    I will put my round headlights against both of yalls any day. Colman, you have no room to talk you havn't wheeled your jeep in over a year, It barely runs and is not drivable.

will the cj grill keep the radiator from falling out?

Registered
    no but the new fancy radiator frame/mount I made will, I should never have a problem with that again....

Quote Originally Posted by cj nut View Post
    I will put my round headlights against both of yalls any day. Colman, you have no room to talk you havn't wheeled your jeep in over a year, It barely runs and is not drivable.
    You have square ones

I would not worry about going through extra work to have the jeep extra low. With your axle and wheel setup the jeep is plenty stable, ground clearance is a good thing. It didn't look overly high at Clayton. Since you've dropped it 2-3" it should be good where it is. Of course remove as much of the body lift as possible. With that gone, it should have a pretty low and stable look.

Make sure you have enough driveshaft travel on the front, #1 mistake people make with shackle reversal. Now the axle moves the wrong way. A standard length slip will not be enough, so you have to shell out the big bucks or build a square shaft.

I've read build ups with frame heights at 23-24" with 40"s but they were running linked suspensions and full hydro. Make sure that after you lowered it you now don't have clearance problems with the drag link/tie rod and frame on full compression (I do not know your steering, do you have high steer?). If you do you will have to notch the frame a bit. What do your steering angles look like with the front pushed forward that far? Are you running the stock box? I am pushing mine forward 1.5" and am going to have to move the box forward a corresponding distance, not sure if this is a problem on yj frames, but I have seen plenty of builds with people pushing them forward. Do you have hydro-assist?
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by MR.ZAP View Post
    You have square ones
    Shh...he doesnt know the difference.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I have my front pushed forward 3" and never moved the box. Only worked because of drag link high and tie rod down low.

lowballing someone
    he is full hydro
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Registered
    I'm full hydro, I just realized that length on the slip yoke will be a problem... I flexed it out one some old tires and a piece of c-channel, But I can say that idea didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. Leaving me with a 20ft piece of bent c-channel. I think if I shorten the slip yoke up more it should be "ok" I don't have much up travel so its a thought. guess that will come in the next few days.
    Last edited by cj nut; 04-11-2011 at 10:19 PM.

My YJ has 1in springs 1in body lift 40s with about a 23in belly.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

Registered
    Thats about wear my bumpers are now, but I think I may change my from spring mounts up a bit.