Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just my luck

Shaggy

Just my luck

I think I am the only person in the world with bad enough luck to break an axle on a 9" going about 5 miles an hour on the street... it snapped right at the tire... clean break... wasn't even making any noise... just randomly happened... any ideas why this could have happened?

Re: Just my luck

Originally posted by Shaggy
    any ideas why this could have happened?
    What else would you expect from a FORD!!!!!

What does the broken shaft look like? When looking at the break is it clean or does it look like it might have already been cracked. You might have stressed the shaft along time ago but it did not brake.
    '50 F-1 (some day might be a 4x4)
    '10 Expedition EL
    '09 F150 Supercrew

Its from living with Dave
    didnt the 4 runner do the same

Shaggy
    it is a clean break... a little rough barely on one side but the other 90% completely smooth

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by robertf03
    didnt the 4 runner do the same
    i cant vouch for that but steve's 8.8 had a similar fate...

stinger7401
    Friday the 13th: enough said.

fbronco86
    I have a question. Was the metal collar that holds the bearing on welded in place. some people weld them to keep them from sliding off. The weld could weaken the shaft.

I have a 9 inch forsale detroit locker and 3.55 gears all new insides

Tariqui
    you cant win with that thing!! just buy a jeep

Shaggy
    well i got it pulled apart now... i need a new passenger side shaft... well they are the same length so i dont guess the side matters... i just pulled the other side but havent looked at it since it is dark and i cant see crap... i am using this as an opportunity to put in my new 3rd member... it is gonna be just swell to have that done... if anyone has a spare axle shaft for a ford 9" 31spline laying around let me know... if not who wants to go look for one with me... i am not a pro junkyard person myself and would probably waist my time looking... all for now

Shaggy
    well i got my new 3rd member on and the side that wasn't broken back on... the only thing i lack is what broke... the axle shaft... i guess ill try to find one tomorrow... i am also gonna go get a front driveshaft built tomorrow because the one i pulled off was crapped out... i have all the crap for the front diff in 2 a box in my closet not put together yet... i dont know how to do it and dont trust myself to do it(it is all brcnd new)... if anyone knows how to put one together really well let me know and we could talk about getting it together maby... if not where can i get it built for relatively cheep... i already dropped 1500 bones on this crap dont really wanna blow too much more

What time are you looking to hit the junkyard tomorrow? I may be able to go help or at least point you in the right direction...

Shaggy
    i think i am about to go look around... give me a call 254.722.4549

Shaggy
    didn't find anything yet... i am gonna check in the junkyard in waco when i get home later today
    --just wanted to do that...heh

ill be your pickup man
    well if you desparatly need a another shaft, I have two that I are in my garage that I will not be usng for a while if you need one temporarely. Let me know.

can u tell by my spelling/grammer that finals are over?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Shaggy
    I found one here in Waco... it was out of a 78... looks to be good enough... a little rusty but it will clean up well