Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Welding Machines

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Just bought my first welding machine. Just a Hobart 140. I need some lessons
    I'm sure sharpe will give you some lessons of you dangle a keystone in front of him
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

ill be your pickup man
    Ok, so I bought a bottle of the argon mix and got it hooked up. Dumb question, but do you just crack the bottle open slightly, then adjust at the regulator to around 20? Then what? Does the gas only flow when the machine is on? Or only when I pull the trigger?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Correct, just open the bottle then adjust the regulator. The gas only comes out when you pull the trigger.

open the bottle all the way
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

you dont need to open the bottle all the way! a 1/4 turn is all that is needed and much safer, economical should something happen to the line from regulator to machine. to adjust pressure the gas needs to be flowing, ie trigger pressed on.

So is miller still the way to go or for the not everyday user is Hobart good enough? How does the Hobart Handler 210 compare to the Miller 211? Seems like the Hobart is more powerful than the miller for the same money. I wonder if it is any good.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

I have a lincoln 100-hd that some one can have if they come get it from me. It needs a new gun (magnum 100), liner and a new positive terminal stud but other then that I think it should operate just fine. It is set up for 0.35 flux core but has the gas nozzel installed. I used it for years with no issues. Then it fell off my workbench and I used it as an excuse to buy a new hobart 140 unit. Free to a good home.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I think Hobart is fine, Krebs, BDR, and I all have Hobarts and they seem work to work fine. Biggest difference that I know between Hobart and Miller is generally Miller has infinitely variable power and a Hobart will just have like 5 settings.

Someone who actually knows something about welding, like Sam or Creighton should chime in.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

lowballing someone
    We have a Hobart 175 and it works great for anything I need.

I'll take that welder. I'll be in dallas on the weekend of the 8th if that's cool. Assuming I'm considered a good home haha
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    We have a Hobart 175 and it works great for anything I need.

I'll take that welder. I'll be in dallas on the weekend of the 8th if that's cool. Assuming I'm considered a good home haha
    Still have my phone number? If so just send me a text when you're in town and we'll meet up. It's sitting under my work bench and not taking up vital space so I am in no hurry to get rid of it.
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Hobart's are just made in china millers, my Hobart plasma uses miller replacement parts. Hobart generally has less features and maybe one notch down on quality from miller.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Hobart's are just made in china millers, my Hobart plasma uses miller replacement parts. Hobart generally has less features and maybe one notch down on quality from miller.
    This.
    Hobart welders are essentially cheaper millers that are slightly lower quality. We have millers, but we operate them every day for most of the day. If you are just going to occasionally use them Hobarts are just fine. Evan has a Hobart 210 in college station which has welded a ton of stuff for the club and works like a champ.

If you are interested I still have both of my Miller 251s for sale. Haven't gotten around to listing them locally yet. Both work great and have brand new guns. wanting $1500 each OBO
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Duty cycle is the most important factor to consider.

General welding on 1/4 mild steel will run about 125-150 amps for the average user. The hobart 211 gives you a 30% duty cycle at 150 amps. Miller 211 is the exact same.

In comparison the Miller 212 and Hobart 230 give you 160 and 175 amps at 60% duty cycle. For welding structural members this will allow you to weld nearly continuously on a vehicle without hitting the duty cycle. The miller will have a smoother arc and better adjustment.

If you can swing it I would buy one of Sams miller 251's. If I had the cash I would buy one for myself as they are really nice machines.

For the record I have a Miller 211 (older 212) and it is a great machine, I have never hit the duty cycle on it and I have run several 33lb spools of wire though the machine without any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Where are the 251s located? I am intersted.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

lowballing someone
    yea i do thanks. brian is moving back to the us so he will be taking his welder when he buys a house so i need a replacement even if its just till i buy a big one. also iirc these little ones are better for sheet metal work and i need to replace some body panels on a few projects.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come