Thread: C-6 no 3rd gear

True Hollywood Stry

C-6 no 3rd gear

Alright, the trans in the blue bronco is having some issues.

So I haven't been driving the bronco much lately just because I have been to busy, but about a month ago I jumped in to go to Galveston and the trans wouldn't go into third. Since then I have messed with some with not much success. I think Otis very odd that it essentially crapped out from sitting. There was really no sign of it having problems last summer when I was driving it alot.

What it's doing sometimes I can get it to go into third by manually shifting it from 1/2 then 2/drive(3). While running the rpms up in 1/2 before I shift. If I do it just cruising it won't go into third.

The shift from 1st to 2nd feels a little soft as well when you put the trans in drive and take off. After running it for prolly 15 minutes or so trying to figure it out the trans smells a little hot,but it is not puking fluid or anything.

Additionally, when I have finally gotten it I'm to third and i romp on it it attempts to drop down into second for passing, but does not always do this as it is supposed to do.

Things I have checked:
    Fluid level
    Smelled the fluid it doesn't smell burnt
    Made sure it wasn't in 4x4

The only thing I need to check is any piece of rubber hose that might be for the trans vacuum.

Any thoughts from you all before I start pulling the trans? I could drop the pan and look for shavings, but I'm not that excited about doing that when it seems that the trans is already toast.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Possibly a sticking valve. I would pull the pan and make sure the filter isn't trashed, then pull the valve body and take it apart and clean it really well. You could also toss on a valve body from a good c6 and see what it does. If it's been sitting and just started this then my money is on a stuck or dirty valve.

Also, not sure if it's the right one but I think Tommy still has an extra c6
    Last edited by Sparling; 05-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

True Hollywood Stry
    Yeah the interweb says vacuum modulator or vacuum hose problems. Parts Stores don't have any in stock right now so I cant replace the modulator. People say that if the modulator is bad there should be ATF in the vacuum line and mine doesn't have that problem. I've got one or two more vacuum lines to replace before the pan comes off.

Yeah I'm trading Tommy my superduty wheels for the trans, but I would rather not swap trans if it is something fairly simple.
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 05-30-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

When my vacuum hose came loose it would just rev really high before it shifted, it would still go into third.

ill be your pickup man
    So Tate, me, Tommy, and now Frick.....That C6 is getting around!
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Little whore.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

I heard she's a tranny too

And I Paid to have her "built" in the first place
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.