Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Tbi problems

True Hollywood Stry

Chevy Tbi problems

I'm having problems with my efi setup. The motor is completely stock and I did nothing to it during my build. The only thing I changed was the fuel tank and pump.

The problem im having is it is running extremely rich. With the fuel pump plugged in and running you can only get it to start maybe once out of 6-7 times and to get it to start you have to hold your foot the the floor and keep it at wide open throttle once it's running as soon as you let of the gas it kills it.

If you unplug the fuel pump it will run like normal until it runs out of gas. I also tried reconnecting the fuel pump once it was running and it immediately floods it and it dies.

We tried unplugging one injector and it still wouldn't work. We also pinched down the hose that runs from the tank to the hard line on the supply and this helped a little in the fact that it would start, but then die right away. I then checked the return line thinking maybe it was plugged and was creating to much pressure in the system. My only other thought it the fuel pressure regulator is screwing up or could it be a bad sensor?

Flem, or Fred do you all have a clue? If you think you have an idea please post up!
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

sounds like the fuel pressure is too high, what are you using for a regulator.

Can you measure the fuel pressure?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

What pump did you use?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

True Hollywood Stry
    The regulator is the stock one on the throttle body, the pump is a stock replacement that came from krebs blazer.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Sorry for not calling you back. I've been ay Goodguy's for work all weekend.

It sounds like you have a good sized vaccuum leak. Make sure you have all the unused ports plugged. Also, pull vaccuum on your brake booster and see if the diaphragm isn't leaking. If it isn't a vaccuum leak, it could be a bad pressure regulator or the injectors are stuck open and just pissing in the intake. Check the spray pattern of the injectors by hooking up a timing light to cyl 1 and shining it at the driver's side injector, then hook it to cylinder two and shine it at the passenger side injector. If the pattern looks like a piss stream and not a cone-ish fan, then you probably need to take them out and soak them in some berryman b12. Call me tomorrow after 5pm and we can talk more if you have more questions.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    The injectors appear to be working, they have a fan like spray, and I can see them kick on and off, but they are throwing a lot of fuel out. We tried to look for any uncapped vacuum leaks, but it was hard because Keystone was there..... I am betting on a regulator.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

True Hollywood Stry
    Fred thanks, I figured you would be wiped out from the show, but I will definately give you a shout tomorrow to talk through some stuff.

I did some searching and Colorado K-5 has a bunch of info. I havent seen someone with my exact problem, but most of the threads on running to rich seem to be tied to Coolant Temp Sensor, because if the sensor is bad or not reading correctly it will send the computer a signal saying that ambient temps are -40 degrees so the comp dumps tons of fuel to it to keep the a/f ratio correct.

Also, alot of people have O2 sensor problems as well. Im out of town this week for work in Corpus and so I am going top make a trip to a junkyard and pick up a handful of senors so that this weekend when I get back home I can start to throw some parts at it. Im also going to look at buying the cable to hook my laptop to view whats going on real time.

True Hollywood Stry
    Changed the fuel pressure regulator, and the problem got worse. Had Fred and Ryno take a look while I was cranking it and the side injector was spraying it's arse off. So I pulled both injectors out and soaked them in carb cleaner for 4 hrs and now she purs like a kitten. The injector was stuck open.

Check engine light coming on after sustained highway driving. Missing and backfiring under slight load, going uphill keeping 70 mph. Water temp never gets above 195.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

True Hollywood Stry
    Electrical tape over the check engine light.

Sounds like a bad sensor.
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 10-16-2011 at 10:32 PM.

That doesn't fix the backfiring
    F*ck off cj.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    That doesn't fix the backfiring
    Ear plugs?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

True Hollywood Stry
    The coolant temp sensor is what ended up being my problem why it was running rich, but I'm not sure how yours is setup.

You work at a parts store replace one sensor at a time and return what doesn't fix the problem. I would try coolant temp first, tps, then O2 sensor.

Hopefully Flem or Fred might have a better idea.

Flem?
    F*ck off cj.

what was the code?