Thread: Anyone know of a good transmission shop in b/cs area?

Registered User CountryaggieFX4's Avatar

Anyone know of a good transmission shop in b/cs area?

Tranny went out tonight on my ranger, i had it rebuilt (nightmare) not really sure i want to take it to another independent shop unless i hear some good feedback. Was rebuilt like 5 times and always leaked with a random slip! May just take it to the ford dealer up here and let them put a new one in it and be done unless someone knows of a really good HONEST shop up here.

why dont you do it yourself?
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

I dont know enough about trannys to rebuild one and this one is possessed on top of that. Even if i did know how to do it i dont have any of the special trans tools. To be honest im thinkng replacement because when/if someone takes this one apart there probaly going to go WTF from the previous shop.

Heard good things about Oliver Brothers, and the place behind aggieland automotive is reasonable on prices but I've never heard anything about quality. Don't be too scared about doing it yourself as long as you realize you might have to take it apart again to flip a one way clutch or something. Also, don't do it in your second story apartment.
    Last edited by Sparling; 11-04-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Chief
    If it's a standard, take it to J&P off 21. Oliver bros if an auto
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Registered User NealtheDestroyr's Avatar
    Took my fiances truck to Oliver Brothers for a clutch and slave cylinder. They did a pretty good job in a timely manner. Dont think price was fair but im a shyster.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms." — Robert Heinlein

ill be your pickup man
    Kevin at Transmission Specialties as done my F150, Bronco, and old ZJ. I reccommend. It is on S. Texas downe near Wings n More.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Whatever you do, dont use AAMCO
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Truck is at oliver brothers, the guy i was talking to seemed like seemed like a real straight shooter. It was also really close to the house and driving at 25mph with no reverse, that is really convenient

Is there anything wrong with having the rear main hoop of a cage right outside the cab on a back halfed pick-up/buggy/thing? I'll post a picture if needed.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

wrong thread?

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I did it in the klogger, so clearly it is ok
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Yeah, I messed up on my phone. Sam can you move it to random tech questions?