Thread: Winches and winching

Winches and winching

I've been tossing around the idea at buying a winch latley for the dodge and I stumbled upon this:
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/special-deals.aspx?deal=1807

A 4,000 lbs smittybuilt for $120

I'm wondering if this might be something useful, as there are plenty of times I would like a portable winch to move things.

Pro:
    -lightweight
    -Cheap
    -Maybe it doesn't use as much battery juice?

Cons:
    -Cheap
    -China
    -Maybe not strong enough to do anything?

My major question is that: Could it pull a heavy, say 87 f350 with a blown tire, onto a trailer with a single normal car-battery for the supply?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    I've been tossing around the idea at buying a winch latley for the dodge and I stumbled upon this:
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/special-deals.aspx?deal=1807

A 4,000 lbs smittybuilt for $120

I'm wondering if this might be something useful, as there are plenty of times I would like a portable winch to move things.

Pro:
    -lightweight
    -Cheap
    -Maybe it doesn't use as much battery juice?

Cons:
    -Cheap
    -China
    -Maybe not strong enough to do anything?

My major question is that: Could it pull a heavy, say 87 f350 with a blown tire, onto a trailer with a single normal car-battery for the supply?
    It should do what you want to do, if anything get a cheap snatch block
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ill be your pickup man
    I think you will wish you had bought a decent size/good quality winch after trying to use that one a couple times.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I think you will wish you had bought a decent size/good quality winch after trying to use that one a couple times.
    This, minus the good quality part

lowballing someone
    if your looking for a cheap trailer winch i have a chicago electric 8k and it has been working for years and abused regularly to haul dead cars from fields onto my trailer for the scrap man and all kinds of other random things. i took half the cable off the spool 2 years ago and things only got better.... if you want one mounted on the truck .... get a good and big one rated for your weight.... 12k probably
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    if your looking for a cheap trailer winch that will break all the time and be ****ty i have a chicago electric 8k
    I inserted my comments on that.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

lowballing someone
    thats what i thought but you can ask tyler and corey who borrow my trailer all the time (and they abused it plenty). i have had that winch for almost 4 years and it gets used often and it is still kicking. I'm surprised, ive never warrantied it and its never broken. Its not real fast but it gets the job done and ive never had to use a snatch block... now remembering to keep my trailer battery charged is another thing.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

the smittybuilt would not be for the dodge, mainly just a trailer portable trailer winch that could be easily adaptable to any trailer
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 11-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

lowballing someone
    that being said if your looking for one for the dodge to be mounted on the bumper then no get a warn or something like that but if your looking for a trailer winch, hf works good

ill be your pickup man
    my smittybuilt was rated for twice what you are looking at and it strained pulling tommys busted bronco onto my trailer.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I was just at harbor freight an hour ago and they had their 9k winch on sale for $220 for something like that until the 11th of this month. I thought about it for my trailer but just can't justify it right now when the jeep has a winch on it and that is the only rig I pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Chets ATV winch on his trailer had no problem pulling my truck onto the trailer, and my truck had no front suspension so it was dragging the whole way.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

That wasn't an atv winch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.