Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Rig Mods

ill be your pickup man

Favorite Rig Mods

So in a mild effort to liven up the board and possibly get the newer guys involved, I wanted to start a thread that could give others ideas on what works and what doesn't work on their rig.

I don't mean "I did 1 tons and 40s and now it kicks ass". Things like sliders, winches, lockers should be obvious. More about the little things. For example, one of my favorite mods is my tool storage. A couple years ago, I bought a chest-type tool box and bolted it to the Bronco's floorboard. It is very accessible and very easy to open. No ratchet straps holding it down or anything. I do not have to climb up and into the rig to get to everything. I use beer bottle boxes to keep everything organized inside.

Going along with this is the way I (with Colman's assisatance) mounted my Hi-lift. There are two lug studs welded to my cage and the jack slides onto them and it is held on by wingnuts. No one likes having to bust out the Hi-lift, but mine is very accesible and gets used alot.

For my spare axleshafts and driveshats, I use those bags that camp chairs come in. They are the perfect length and some have zippers to keep everythign in.

Tube doors are another favorite. More for a dedicated trail rig, I love the extra visibilty, and they would be pretty easy to make.

The mod that allows me to have the most fun on the trail though, well that is a trailer

Contributions to the thread apprectiated.
    Last edited by JB; 11-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

A good one: Rock Lights
    There are TONS of ways you can do this. From high grade waterproof LEDs to Harbor Freight trailer lights; in short almost anything is better than nothing. At first thought it doesn't seem like rock lights would get used that often but I use mine all the time. The obvious time would be while wheeling at night but I also find that they are a necessity when doing a repair back at camp (lets face it, usually at night), when trying to find the cooler in the back of the jeep to get another 'necessary' beer at 3am, and they are nice to be able to flip on at night when everyone is standing around BSing. I have two 40watt reverse lights, one on either side of the tub mounted to an auxiliary switch. Cheap, easy, and practical.

A bad one: Relocated gas tank
    More for the dedicated trail rig only but I know a lot of Jeepers and some other rigs alike have problems with keeping the fuel tank in the stock position. Either it interferes with a wheelbase stretch (my case) or just acts as a giant boat anchor. Fuel cells can be pricey and can require custom fabrication. The cheaper option is to just plop the stock tank in the bed or rear cab of the rig and ratchet strap it down. "It won't be so bad. . . I don't use that room anyway". Ya, my thoughts exactly. I HATE IT! I think it is one of the bigger mistakes I have made on my rig. I will be sinking it down into the floor and doing it right very soon. Here is my reasoning. Storage now sucks. Esthetics now suck. I have had problems with the fuel 'burping' back up if I fill the tank to 100% full. I also felt a bit of a difference off-road when I moved my gas tank to the bed when it came to center of gravity and the 'tippyness' of the vehicle. A tank will weigh 130-180lbs when full and let me get this straight, I just moved it UP about a foot on the rig? Ya not a good idea. So I'm not saying that it is the dumbest mod in the world to do but my advice is just to think twice before doing it on your rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

My two favorite mods on the Jeep were the

Front Locker

I recomend a lunchbox in the front before you lock the rear especially on a jeep. I only had a limited slip in the rear and with a lunchbox in the front it was not that much harder to steer 33's with stock steering and it allowed a lot more control.

Rocker Guards

My rocker guards are just 5 x 3 x 1/4 angle that I bolt to the sides. I built these for under $100 with nothing but a grinder and a hand drill.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ARB Fridge - may sound a little crazy but my favorite mod for my Fj Cruiser was my ARB fridge. At the time I was wheeling at least twice a month, driving to and from the trails an camping at least two nights. Not having to worry about ice and always having my food and beer cold is awesome. Just throw the supplies in an take off. It still resides in my truck, albeit it is my tow rig but it gets used every trip, whether it is tailgating or wheeling. One of the best "expedition" mods you can do.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    On board air, it has been used for multiple things every trip out.

But really, the fridge mod takes the taco....better have your balls screwed on tight, and your ginger ale chilled if you're going to go "expediting....expeditioning?...no, expediting."
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

3g alternator

130 amps makes everything work better. I did my whole setup (minus the alternator) for around $80. The breaker was the most expensive part ($60) plus $20 for new cables.

Dodge neon seats and f-150 bucket center console.

Seats are alot more comfortable and they recline enough to sleep. The center console holds extra parts and my winch controller. And it has cup holders.

previously

And of course the tool box with integrated hi lift jack mount.

High lift is a 1/2" x 5" bolt with washers and a bolt to make it a stud. Then wing nuts to hold it on. The toolbox doesnt' hold much now but it will. Also it's a good place for stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

ill be your pickup man
    One of my bad mods was a magnetic base CB antenna on top of the cab. It didn't even last one run. Karl told me it wouldn't, but I didn't listen to Karl. Hard mount your CB antenna and use a spring. It will work better.
    Last edited by JB; 11-10-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Boatsides! There is a bigger gain doing this on fullsizes but I rank it up there with tires and lockers for performance advantage. Now, I did go full-retard on mine and knocked about a foot off the bottom of the cab but it makes a huge difference wheelin. It was a **** ton of work that took a long time but in the grand scheme of things was not that expensive. Good mod for a brokeass student with little cash and some time.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Worst mod....tbi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    But really, the fridge mod takes the taco....better have your balls screwed on tight, and your ginger ale chilled if you're going to go "expediting....expeditioning?...no, expediting."
    Get it right, Club Soda and Tonic Water, keep that Ginger Ale for the commoners!

lowballing someone
    Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    Worst mod....tbi
    ummm, no
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Chief
    best - Sweet blue neons!!!

worst - Microwave

Nuff said
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    One of my bad mods was a magnetic base CB antenna on top of the cab. It didn't even last one run. Karl told me it would, but I didn't listen to Karl. Hard mount your CB antenna, use a spring, and listen to Karl. It will work better.
    Listen to Karl, best trail mod and advice in life
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
    best - Sweet blue neons!!!

worst - Microwave

Nuff said
    The microwave itself isn't the worst idea ever, it was mostly your execution of the idea that was the problem
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Oba or random furniture for the win
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901