Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The General #2

The General #2

Since the blazer has seen better days I picked up Scotts old chassis and am going to put all of the good parts off of my blazer into it.

Parts from Blazer:
    TBI 350
    700R4
    Klune (2.73:1)
    Front Dana 60 4:10 gears and detroit
    Rear Dana 70 4:10 gears welded (may swap out for a srw 14 bolt so I don't have to run spacers on my front)
    OBA

I plan on linking it front and rear, and maybe using some sort of exotic material for links depending on cost. Air shocks on all corners.

The only major changes I am going to make to the chassis is the front will get cut off and redone with tube.

here are pictures after day 1 of work.Name:  IMG_0435.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  65.3 KB

I got the firewall mounted.
    Name:  IMG_0436.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  50.0 KB
    I also had to 'boatside' for lack of a better term the lower corners due to rust.

lowballing someone
    I love how this build started cause i had the frame, firewall, hood, radiator, seats, etc laying around....... your welcome you ungratefull bastard
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

On the links, you don't need anything fancy for the uppers, just 1.5" x .120" tube should be fine. Links get bent because they get hit. On the lowers, go thick. I've seen a lot of them bend. I can tell you what I know about links and joints and such at Clayton.

i am getting close to getting the engine/trans/tcase mounted and am going to be moving over to suspension work

I am going with a 4 link rear and I was thinking a 3 link front. What size joints should I be using?

1.25" or you're a *****.

$125 for a set from ruffstuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

What size joints should I be using?
    For a rig on tons i would run 1.25 for the lowers and 7/8th for the uppers.

I would run Johnny joints on the frame ends of the 4 link and poly bushings on the axle end. Both should use 5/8" bolts.

Actually I would use whatever joints Scott had on the rear because it already has the mounts for them.

lowballing someone
    his mounts were integrated into the trans crossmember which is going to have to be redone for brian's drivetrain...
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

the only mounts that I will be re-using from scotts old rear setup are the uppers on the frame side, the lowers frame side were part of the crossmember which I will have to rebuild since my drivetrain is so different. they are the standard 2 5/8'' mounting width if i remember correctly so either a jonny joint or the 1.25 heim should fit, what is the benefit of jonny joints over heims?

They're rebuildable, but you have to use Pu55y bolts to attach them to the frame. I was going to use Johnny joints for my radius arms till I figured out for the same price as 1.25" heims I would be using a 9/16 bolt to hold the whole front axle in.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...008/joints.htm
    Last edited by TdmayfieldIV; 02-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

so a heat treated 9/16 round cross section in a double shear configuration is weaker than a threaded cross section of 1.25 mild steel in tension and bending?

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    so a heat treated 9/16 round cross section in a double shear configuration is weaker than a threaded cross section of 1.25 mild steel in tension and bending?
    What 1.25 rod end are you speaking of? The rough stuff ones are all heat treated chromoly.

I don't like jonnhy joints because of the greasable 9/16 bolt they suggest selling with them.
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 02-24-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

that welded thing in the picture in tommys link

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    that welded thing in the picture in tommys link
    You mean the first picture under the section "bushings"? I'm thinking Tommy just posted that link as a reference to several different choices of rod-ends

I'm sure either option would work fine but I have never seen a trophy truck with a johnny joint on it...
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!