Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rigs Sam will never have

Rigs Sam will never have

Ok, driving the FJ this weekend got the itch going in me to build a rig.

I am going to do something out of the box as far as this club goes and build it right the first time.

What I am thinking

Buy an old extended cab 2wd toyota that has as many miles as possible on it for cheap

Then I am planning on this
    5.3l vortec, automatic transmission, and either a stack or atlas.

for axles I am thinking a 14 bolt and a 60, or maybe some spider 9s, but this is not likely
    5.13 gears, or maybe 4.56

Suspension.
    This is where I am REALLY not sure. I want to do a double triangulated 4 link rear and a 3 link with track bar front, on coilovers or air shocks
    In all likely hood I will just do leaf springs

42" pitbull rockers or IROKs on recentered H1s

I am going to need a lot of help coming up with ideas on this, and any ideas or suggestions are extremely welcome

This is going to take a long damn time to do. I know that and dont want to change my mind. I want something done right the first time that I can rely on and is capable. I see no reason to buy something that sucks and spend all of my time working on it on the trail and be wary to spend the money to get it on a trip and then have it break down.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Are you on crack?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

So.....who is going to do this for you? We all know you'll give up when you get a dead battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_hodnett View Post

I am going to do something out of the box as far as this club goes and build it right the first time.

What I am thinking

Buy an old extended cab 2wd toyota that has as many miles as possible on it for cheap

for axles I am thinking a 14 bolt and a 60, or maybe some spider 9s, but this is not likely

Suspension.
    This is where I am REALLY not sure. I want to do a double triangulated 4 link rear and a 3 link with track bar front, on coilovers or air shocks

I am going to need a lot of help coming up with ideas on this, and any ideas or suggestions are extremely welcome

This is going to take a long damn time to do. I know that and dont want to change my mind. I want something done right the first time that I can rely on and is capable. I see no reason to buy something that sucks and spend all of my time working on it on the trail and be wary to spend the money to get it on a trip and then have it break down.
    This is a great dream and sounds like a badass trail vehicle. That being said I kind of agree with Travis.

If you want something reliable, but not as pretty of parts by Fugly from my Dad. Damn thing never breaks, has 39.5's on beadlocks, hopped up Tree Fifty and a great crawl ratio with the SM420. Makes a good trail machine. Just a thought.

Ill get it done, it will probably be after college... I knew this was going to happen.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Find one and wheel it like it is for a bit. At least until after college. It'll be way too demotivating to build it all with no budget.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Comments on re-gearing your axles:
    1) Open Microsoft Excel
    2) Put cost of gear, master install kits, and labor to install in columns
    3) Use the =sum() function and see how much it costs.

I think you will crap a brick when you see how much re-gearing costs as opposed to buying a $900 set of 1-tons with 4.11 already in them.

you probably won't have enough time or money before you get out of school to do this, and why start with a toyota and throw most of it away? Fellers did that a few years back to that 4 runner, seemed kind of dumb.

I know it will be after school when i get this done

I know, but what would i start with that I would not throw a bunch of it away?

Go get a loan an buy my jeep.
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Busa View Post
    Go get a loan an buy my jeep.
    how much do you want for it?

As it sits $13000

92 YJ
    Stock 4.0
    TStock AX15
    Atlas 5.0 with 32spl out front 32spl out rear, 1350 yoke front 1350 flange rear
    17 X 9 (6 on 5.5) Mickey Thompson classic II with OMF bead locks
    40" BFG Krawlers
    Rubicon Express 1" leaf spring, Sprung over 1" body lift, Bilstein 12” 7100 and Bilstein 10” 7100 shocks
    Spider 9" housing with Dana 60 outers, Axle shafts are 35 spline inner and outer 4340 Moser shafts
    Ford 9" with 35 spline Dutchman 4340 shafts and disk brakes
    Both axles have Strange Nodular Iron third member, Daytona pinion supports, 35 spline Detroit’s and 5.13 gears
    PSC full hydro steering 2.25 double ended ram
    Warn 8000pd winch
    Onboard air with tank
    Low profile Aluminum gas tank that is under the jeep
    Custom Roll cage
    Race trim seats with 4point harnesses
    Custom tube fenders
    1" motor lift and a flat skid plate
    1350 front and 1350 CV rear drive shafts
    Custom Rockslides and corner guards
    Flat belly
    Custom front and rear bumpers
    Wheel base stretched 7.5” 102ish
    Good heater
    New AC system
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sam_hodnett View Post

What I am thinking

Suspension.

You can build a badass rig with a lot less money than what you are talking, and still upgrade in the future.

Examples:

run a 350 with TBI

Run CUCV axles with stock 4.56 or find one tons with 4.10s - you get plenty of gearing out of the transfer case

Standard trans is tempting for low granny gear, cheap rebuild, and durability. worst case, run the th400 out of the cucv you buy.

Don't bother recentering the wheels - or just run skinny stockers - works for kopecki

run leafs, you can link it later and dont lose much. also leafs are very cabable and cheap.

run 60/14 - shave the lip.

I am more and more impressed by swamper tsl's. unimpressed by iroks. pitbull, maxxis, and pretty much anything else i'm not sure about.

This is all assuming you are running a trailer rig to drive on rock trails.

OBA off of a york seems to be the superior setup to me.

simple cage, simple sliders if any, body you dont care about, dependable guages, fuel cell, seats, harnesses, storage, antiwrap bars, 0 degree plus approach and departure, good winch, high steer with hydro assist, quiet muffler, four tow points, belly skid (pref flat), passenger oh **** handle, maybe a temp windshield (plex or lexan?)

So buy a parts truck or trucks to get your drivetrain, and scrap the leftovers, That leaves a trans case/doubler as your biggest ticket.

Weld diffs, run cheap slugs, throw some tunes in (maybe)

Good simple CB.

Now if you want something that is more streetable, that throws alot of this out the window, especially tires and welded diffs.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I would love to buy your jeep busa, but there is absolutely no possible way that i could afford that and I really dont want to take out a loan for a rig

Just a thought
    Ryan Busa
    CP# 972-281-7106
    rbusatoy@hotmail.com

13k goes really fast when building something. But there are plenty of nicely built rigs out there in the 10k range. People just can't afford this hobby.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)