Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '08 JK build

'08 JK build

Alright my names Kyle, I met most of you at Clayton this year. I've got an 08 JK that is my DD and my off road rig. Anyway, thought I'd start a build thread for reference for anyone looking at a JK.

Got it when I was 16, Cheapest jeep on the lot with an automatic tranny (my family has always preferred auto for off road rigs)

Heres what my Jeep look liked (except black) when we drove it off the lot:

d30/d44, 3.8L minivan engine, electric nothing, steering wheel and gas pedal.

Told the dealer before we signed that I was not going to be seen driving a jeep with freaking donuts for wheels so afew days after buying it we had the dealer throw on Sahara 32's

Rode that way for about a year then I added Dynapro's on mamba M3's

Put a huge dent in my rocker panel wheeling so I bought purejeep sliders to cover it up

Next was a teraflex 2.5" spacer lift and pro comp shocks

didnt do anything major till this christmas break I added a warn stubby bumper, fog lights, and a winch is in the mail. (and repaired damage from clayton)

Heres some shots of my interior goodies (theres a fancy radar next to the CB, hard to see in the pic)

And the ingenious Antenna mount by cooltech

hopefully the damn winch gets here before I leave for CS
    Last edited by Kyle.; 01-05-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Winch came in yesterday and I threw it on last night.
    Engo e9000

Heres how it sits now, and probably will for awhile. Hopefully this summer I'll get a rear locker, idk which one yet but it has to be selectable.
    Last edited by Kyle.; 01-10-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Bumper looks good!

Congrats!
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

So next up guys is lockers. Pretty stumped on this one though. everyone I talk to say lunch boxes and ARB are really the only options for the JK D44. I'm hesitant on putting a lunch box in the rear since this is also my DD. One option is getting a rear rubicon axle and swap it in, maybe I can find a wrecked rubicon and get the rear axle for under 1K (1200 for a rear ARB)

If you get lucky enough to find a rear rubi jk44, i think they usually go for around 1500-2000 from what I've seen.

look at rocky road outfitters. They've got the cheapest ARB's. Looks like its 900 for the JK

Not sure if you're looking for someone to install them, but a guy here in Wylie does great work and is more than fair on prices.

http://www.t4customs.com/

yeah I doubt I'll find a good rubi axle and may as well wait till i can get an ARB. maybe this summer. I'll probably have my uncle help me install it, he's a jeep guru.

As most of you know I broke an axle shaft at Alto. ndb but It's putting my locker situation on hold (decided ill probably buy a Detroit trutrac for the rear this summer). Today I ordered one of these:

Superior Discovery chromoly drivers side axle shaft

Hopefully Ill have the other side also before TCC. I've heard wheeling with one side being chromo and the other side stock is a bad idea so im gonna try to avoid it.

Also starting a "o **** I broke something" savings account for the next time haha
    Last edited by Kyle.; 02-03-2012 at 01:59 PM.

See! breakage means you get to put better parts in!!!

you broke an axleshaft without a locker? what were you doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ill be your pickup man
    I was spotting him up the little hill down by the mudpits and I guess that side just bound up and it went pretty quick.

So JKs have a d44 rear and 30 front?

Lockers will amaze you. Get them sooner than later
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Yeah idk why it happened I run 285's on my front dana 30 unlocked. Maybe I messed it up in clayton and it gave out in alto. Very strange.

Here a pick of the busted outer. Ears on outer flat out failed. Surprising enough the ujoint was intact, probably busted too though

Yeah hopefully will be put a truetrac in the rear this summer. Ill see how I like it and maybe put a truetrac in the front as well. Should be perfect for my situation

I've seen that break lots of times. I don't think it's a problem of the shafts but rather the u- joint cap gets to spinning a little under pressure, spits the factory half clip retainer, cap walks out until it hits the ball joint, and **** blows up. I used to weld the caps in. Probably could have just tacked the clips in and enjoyed longer joint life. Real fix is full circle clips. It's a very cheap modification.