Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '08 JK build

Quote Originally Posted by eight View Post
    I've seen that break lots of times. I don't think it's a problem of the shafts but rather the u- joint cap gets to spinning a little under pressure, spits the factory half clip retainer, cap walks out until it hits the ball joint, and **** blows up. I used to weld the caps in. Probably could have just tacked the clips in and enjoyed longer joint life. Real fix is full circle clips. It's a very cheap modification.

Sounds like something I should look into

Now that you mention it I have heard of tacking the caps before. Im gonna tack my stock passenger side and run that till i can afford a chromoly for that side as well

lowballing someone
    full circle clips are the way to go....
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

where would one acquire full circle clips? did a quick search and found nothing

you can find full circle clips at a good hardware/ parts store have to search for the right size external snap ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Getting the clips isnt the hard part. You have to machine the inside of the yoke ears to accomodate the full circle clips.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

It's usually done with a new grinding wheel.

Tacking the caps never seemed to help me, the tacks would break after a while. I actually put a full weld on the caps. Never had one fail, never had a yoke break. The needles in the joints would be gone in about 3 runs. A couple times the joint broke, would spit a journal right through the cap.

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by eight View Post
    It's usually done with a new grinding wheel.

Tacking the caps never seemed to help me, the tacks would break after a while. I actually put a full weld on the caps. Never had one fail, never had a yoke break. The needles in the joints would be gone in about 3 runs. A couple times the joint broke, would spit a journal right through the cap.
    And that's the story how Frick and Jason Hensel almost died at Katemcy due to u-joint shrapnel.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

think im gonna stray away from that then. Talked to a rep at superior he says running only one chromoly isnt a big deal, your chromoly side wont break, your stock will eventually. So im just gonna running it like it is till i bust the other side.

Good news is the parts came in yesterday and Evan is gonna help me put them on saturday.

So this whole axle-shaft thing has been a total butt-****, time to vent. so parts came in last thursday, evan and I attempted to assemble everything together but cracked one of the caps on the spicer u joint. Not a big problem we'll just get a cheap u joint from national and put that cap on. That broke too, so today I decided to go to brazos valley driveline to have them put it all together properly, well we ****ed up the last two so I had to buy another one and pay for install, all together about 45 bucks. unknown to me they used a cheap alternative that has c-clips instead of the spicer like i told them too. So i call Superior and they say the warranty is voided if anything other than a spicer with full circle clips is used. So i had them send me the circle clips (that dont actually come with the spicer u joint) and he said he could send it next day for "cheap" since they only cost 1.50 a piece. Checked my back account and the bastard charged me 25 dollars for 4 freaking circle clips. DAMMIT TODAY SUCKS. haha so the clips should be here tomorrow, BVD gets the ujoint wednesday and everything should be assembled properly this time by thursday so hopefully Evan and I can throw this bitch in this weekend and forget the whole ****ing deal...... I need a beer.
    Last edited by Kyle.; 02-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.

$20 is "cheap" for next day. ****ty part is that you have to take the whole axleshaft apart to put the full circle clips on, they need to be around the joint before it goes into the axleshaft. Find someone with a press and do it the right way or get you a good dead blow.
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

yeah the guy didnt tell me what he was gonna charge so i assumed less, guess thats my fault. Luckily BVD is gonna take it apart and put it back together with the right parts for free since i told them the right parts in the first place and they didnt, I just have to pay for the spicer.
    Last edited by Kyle.; 02-13-2012 at 07:23 PM.

After installing the bumper and winch over break, my springs sagged a good inch and a half. So I bought some 4 door springs off of noah and after afew beers and acouple hours at Evan's they are on and my jeep's sitting level once again. Thanks to all who helped out

O also got the superior axle shaft in. Evan helped with that too. Thanks again!