Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steel

Do what brain colman did.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Y'all want to home build something big enough to carry two vehicles and ~12k lbs safely at 75 mph for several hours at a time on the highway surrounded by other drivers where it could potentially fail...

I don't see anything wrong with this plan at all... I am not doubting the Ingenuity of yall but rather building something for the road carrying that much weight is just a big liability. If I can recommend one thing look at putting some kind of "torsion tube" down the middle of the trailer like what i think Ed's has.May help the rigidity.
    What welding would there be if we got a long trailer and cut it down to be shorter that would be a liability? This trailer started as an 8 horse trailer built by gooseneck. I'm sure it's plenty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Do what brain colman did.
    I thought buying a long ass trailer and cutting it down to size was pretty close to what he did...
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Y'all want to home build something big enough to carry two vehicles and ~12k lbs safely at 75 mph for several hours at a time on the highway surrounded by other drivers where it could potentially fail...
    Nothing wrong with this. Ive helped on projects just like this and My dad has built several trailers for just this sort of thing. There is no real difference in a home built and a bought trailer except that the bought trailer was made faster using jigs
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

If it was a horse trailer the sides probably added strength. Just like a convertible car has a more rigid frame than a hardtop.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Quote Originally Posted by sam_hodnett View Post
    Nothing wrong with this. Ive helped on projects just like this and My dad has built several trailers for just this sort of thing. There is no real difference in a home built and a bought trailer except that the bought trailer was made faster using jigs
    And what does your dad do for a living, and have a ton of experience in? I just want to make sure everyone has the proper experience that their fabrication will withstand the force of a load going down the road. Trailers are finnicky if not done right. I have pulled some not done right and they can be scary is all.

If you are cutting one down that does sound a lot better though. Just a home built from scratch gives me hesitation.

Also Tate might have a good point with the rigidity thing on a horse trailer if the frame isn't as beefy as you like.

Because an 8 horse trailer was surly built to haul two giant turds...
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

According to Google a full grown horse can weigh 1600lbs. So its designed to carry 12,800lbs. We are taking 5 ft off and the roof so there's another 1000lbs. So our weight rating could be almost 1400lbs if the top wasn't designed to add to the gvwr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    According to Google a full grown horse can weigh 1600lbs. So its designed to carry 12,800lbs. We are taking 5 ft off and the roof so there's another 1000lbs. So our weight rating could be almost 1400lbs if the top wasn't designed to add to the gvwr.
    And this is why you'll get **** on for your attempted ghetto fab trailer.
    Born to Kill

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Again this sounds like another terrible idea. Don't be Jews, build the trailer the right way. I can get you plans if y'all want. The trailer needs no less then a 18-20k capacity. Take Sams advice on this when and where you can.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Can you email plans? sparling2012@gmail.com

I'm all for doing it the right way, I just figured shortening a gooseneck brand trailer would workl. I haven't looked at the trailer yet to see if it would work but I think Tate is right. What size I beams do trailers with an 18-20k rating use?
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Born to Kill

Horse and livestock trailers are deffinately unibody construction so that plan sucks. There is nothing wrong with building your own trailer from scratch if you have a pair of testicles.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

seriously?

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Not anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.